[comp.unix.questions] BBS under COHERENT ?

luciano@acadch.com (Luciano d'Agostino) (04/05/91)

Is there a BBS package to run under COHERENT's environment ???

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Ciao
                      LuCiAnO

Luciano D'Agostino  @  Autodesk AG   - Switzerland
E-Mail: luciano@switzerland.acadch.com

RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) (04/07/91)

I, too, would like to know this.  I had considered getting Coherent,
since it is advertised at only $99 (and less I hear, in some places).
But I chose not to, since I read *here* that no one had been able to
get anything to run under Coherent, and that it was not 100% compat.
with other unix stuff.  Could I write my own? (I would have to learn
C first....) Any comment here or email would be appreciated.

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (04/07/91)

luciano@acadch.com (Luciano d'Agostino) writes:

> Is there a BBS package to run under COHERENT's environment ???
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
> Ciao

In PC Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 7, Mark Williams company has a full page ad
on Coherent.  In the right-hand column, at the top, there is a box which
talks about their "New Coherent releave 3.1"... now with:

  - elvis: vi editor clone
  - SCI (Adaptec AHA154x series and ESDI support)
  - UUCP Bulletin Board System
  - RAM disk support

So, there you are.  If you own a copy of coherent, I presume you can
upgrade at minimal cost.

 ---
    Steve Pershing, System Administrator

 : The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :
 :===========================================================================:
 : Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
 : Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
 :           Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/10/91)

In article <40992@cup.portal.com> RCH@cup.portal.com (Ric C Helton) writes:
>I, too, would like to know this.  I had considered getting Coherent,
>since it is advertised at only $99 (and less I hear, in some places).
>But I chose not to, since I read *here* that no one had been able to
>get anything to run under Coherent, and that it was not 100% compat.
>with other unix stuff.  Could I write my own? (I would have to learn
>C first....) Any comment here or email would be appreciated.

You should start reading the group comp.os.coherent.

I am posting this from my home machine, which is running Coherent, Cnews,
and Rn.  I have had very few problems porting stuff from the comp.sources.*
groups.  Coherent is UNIX V7 compatible with UNIX V5 extensions.  If you
are going to have any type of UNIX box for a personal machine, you should
be ready to learn UNIX administration, C, and shell programming.

The BBS listed in Mark Williams ads is a system where registered Coherent
users can download bug fixes, updates, and PD software using UUCP.  It is
not a BBS under the normal definition.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP