[comp.unix.questions] autoexecution of a program by tty

ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) (03/28/91)

The main function of the UNIX system I 'run' is a Bulletin-Board type
application.  In order to get to the app, users log in with a generic
bbs user-id.  All such users come in through x.25 circuits, and internal
users are on dialups or direct connects.

Is there any way that I can tell xgetty that any connect to an x.25 tty
should automatically run the BBS (or at least a shell program)?  Since all
users have to log in as bbs, I'd rather they be able to skip that step.

Thoughts are appreciated.

--
Ed Brill				The Mercury Network /
ebrill@ddsw1.mcs.com			Florists' Transworld Delivery

In article <1991Mar28.143204.27014@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) writes:
|> Is there any way that I can tell xgetty that any connect to an x.25 tty
|> should automatically run the BBS (or at least a shell program)?  Since all
|> users have to log in as bbs, I'd rather they be able to skip that step.

  If all the people using the BBS log in as "bbs", then why don't you just
change the shell field in /etc/passwd for the BBS account so that the shell
that is invoked automatically when the bbs user logs in is the BBS program?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Varney) (04/04/91)

}
}  If all the people using the BBS log in as "bbs", then why don't you just
}change the shell field in /etc/passwd for the BBS account so that the shell
}that is invoked automatically when the bbs user logs in is the BBS program?

NONONONONO
That is exactly what he wanted to skip. He wants a way to set it up so
that if you connect to an x.25 tty, you do not have to go through the
login process, but will just be automatically started up in the bbs
program.
Just thought I'd try to explain it a little better.

}Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
						      ^^^^^^
Get out the UShammer!!!
		Bruce
---------
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   .... ok so you probably know it by now
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

In article <1991Mar28.143204.27014@ddsw1.MCS.COM> ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) writes:
>Is there any way that I can tell xgetty that any connect to an x.25 tty
>should automatically run the BBS (or at least a shell program)?  Since all
>users have to log in as bbs, I'd rather they be able to skip that step.

You don't say what flavor of Unix you're using.  SunLink X.25 uses a
configuration file, /etc/sunlink/x25/x29-auth, which allows a program other
than /bin/login to be specified.  The choice of initial program may be
based on the source and/or destination X.121 address or subaddress, using
wildcards.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr3.135455.3191@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.143204.27014@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) writes:
>|> Is there any way that I can tell xgetty that any connect to an x.25 tty
>|> should automatically run the BBS (or at least a shell program)?  Since all
>|> users have to log in as bbs, I'd rather they be able to skip that step.
>
>  If all the people using the BBS log in as "bbs", then why don't you just
>change the shell field in /etc/passwd for the BBS account so that the shell
>that is invoked automatically when the bbs user logs in is the BBS program?

I was kinda hoping that it could assume that any connects on xty00 thru
xty3f are BBS connections, and that the user wouldn't even have to face
a login: prompt.  I am getting the feeling that this is basically
impossible.

--

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (04/11/91)

ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) writes:

>>  If all the people using the BBS log in as "bbs", then why don't you just
>>change the shell field in /etc/passwd for the BBS account so that the shell
>>that is invoked automatically when the bbs user logs in is the BBS program?
>>
>I was kinda hoping that it could assume that any connects on xty00 thru
>xty3f are BBS connections, and that the user wouldn't even have to face
>a login: prompt.  I am getting the feeling that this is basically
>impossible.

This is definitely possible.  Since there is a getty running for each port,
you need merely replace either the getty program or the login program.
How about taking one of the PD getty replacements and modifying it so
it does a setuid and then invokes the BBS program?  Assuming that the
BBS program waits for a command, then users would only need to press
enter or something to begin their sessions, right?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

weimer@garden.ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer (253-7796)) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr08.130553.16073@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM
(Edward Brill) writes:
|> I was kinda hoping that it could assume that any connects on xty00 thru
|> xty3f are BBS connections, and that the user wouldn't even have to face
|> a login: prompt.  I am getting the feeling that this is basically
|> impossible.

That depends on who much trouble you want to go through...
Two things that might work:

1) modify the code for getty(8) to call the BBS instead of login(1)
   and change /etc/ttytab to call the modified version for the BBS ports.

2) write your own program to open and initialize the tty line and run
   the BBS, then change /etc/ttytab to use this for the BBS ports.

NOTE: I think some versions use an inittab file or some such thing in
      place of the ttytab file.

weimer@ssd.kodak.com ( Gary Weimer )