[comp.unix.questions] Looking for Screen Splitting program for shell enviroment

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (04/11/91)

  Here at nos850 we do not yet have the capabilities of using a windows
enviroment such as X Windows, so I was wondering if there are any
programs out there that will allow one to split the screen into 2 or 3
sections with a shell process running in each one.  Ideally the user
would be able to run a process in one half of the screen, and by some
control sequence or tap of a function key, change their current shell to the
other the half of the screen, and at the same time able to see the
output of their previous process without it interfering with their
current work.  I'm sure that I'm not the first person to come up with
this one, so surely there must be such a utility out there somewhere.
Please mail all responses to me, and if there is sufficient interest I
 summarize and post.  I can't FTP so kudos to anybody who can mail me
the source.

 -Joseph Muller

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (04/12/91)

Joe>   Here at nos850 we do not yet have the capabilities of using a
Joe> windows enviroment such as X Windows, so I was wondering if there
Joe> are any programs out there that will allow one to split the
Joe> screen into 2 or 3 sections with a shell process running in each
Joe> one.

In GNU Emacs, (describe-function (quote shell))

shell:
Run an inferior shell, with I/O through buffer *shell*.
[...]

Adding this:

(defun named-shell (shell-name)
  "Named shells"
  (interactive "sShell name: ")
  (cond ((get-buffer shell-name) (switch-to-buffer shell-name))
        (t (shell) (rename-buffer shell-name))))

brings us up to your requirements.  Follow the newsgroups gnu.emacs.*
and comp.emacs for how to obtain GNU Emacs, as you say you can't FTP.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Michael Prusynski) (04/13/91)

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>   Here at nos850 we do not yet have the capabilities of using a windows
> enviroment such as X Windows, so I was wondering if there are any
> programs out there that will allow one to split the screen into 2 or 3
> sections with a shell process running in each one.  Ideally the user
> would be able to run a process in one half of the screen, and by some
> control sequence or tap of a function key, change their current shell to the
> other the half of the screen, and at the same time able to see the
> output of their previous process without it interfering with their
> current work.  I'm sure that I'm not the first person to come up with
> this one, so surely there must be such a utility out there somewhere.

I thought this might be of general interest...
There is a command in BSD and Ultrix called window(1) which does what you
want.  I use it occasionally, but it falls short when you "rlogin" to
another machine via the window.

-----
Michael Prusynski (michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM)   Phone: (503) 629-3062
USMail:  Tektronix Inc., MS 92-304, PO Box 4600, Beaverton, OR 97076    __o
  UUCP:  ...!uunet!tektronix!amadeus.WR.TEK.COM!michaelp               -\<,
  ARPA:  @RELAY.CS.NET:michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM                ....O/ O

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John 'tms' Navarra) (04/13/91)

In article <5676@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Michael Prusynski) writes:

>joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) writes:
>>   Here at nos850 we do not yet have the capabilities of using a windows
>> enviroment such as X Windows, so I was wondering if there are any
>> programs out there that will allow one to split the screen into 2 or 3
>> sections with a shell process running in each one.  Ideally the user
>> would be able to run a process in one half of the screen, and by some
>> control sequence or tap of a function key, change their current shell to the
>> other the half of the screen, and at the same time able to see the
>> output of their previous process without it interfering with their
>> current work.  I'm sure that I'm not the first person to come up with
>> this one, so surely there must be such a utility out there somewhere.

      There is a Unix screen program which does sorta what you want. It does
 not open windows per se but it allows you to switch back and forth btw
 various screens using control sequences. Also, you can have multiple screens
 running to various computers and can even disconnect a screen at one
 terminal and resume it somewhere else (provided the terminal types are
 compatible). It is a USEFUL program although it is not quite windows. But
 it does run all ALL terminals.

>-----
>Michael Prusynski (michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM)   Phone: (503) 629-3062
>USMail:  Tektronix Inc., MS 92-304, PO Box 4600, Beaverton, OR 97076    __o
>  UUCP:  ...!uunet!tektronix!amadeus.WR.TEK.COM!michaelp               -\<,
>  ARPA:  @RELAY.CS.NET:michaelp@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM                ....O/ O

--
From the Lab of the MaD ScIenTiST:

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu