[comp.unix.questions] I have a stupid q.

In article <406@platypus.uofs.edu>, mhm2@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (MALINOSKI MARC H) writes:
|> 	How come everytime I try to execute a Makefile, I
|> get "permission denied"?

  This would probably be better in comp.unix.questions rather than in
comp.sources.games.bugs, since it is a general question about Makefiles and
not a specific question about any particular game.

  In any case, you don't execute Makefiles.  They are not programs.  You use
the "make" program to build programs based on what's in the Makefile.  A
Makefile is a configuration file for the "make" program.  See the man page for
"make" for more information.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.215454.22894@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <406@platypus.uofs.edu>, mhm2@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (MALINOSKI MARC H) writes:
>|> 	How come everytime I try to execute a Makefile, I
>|> get "permission denied"?
>
>  This would probably be better in comp.unix.questions rather than in
>comp.sources.games.bugs, since it is a general question about Makefiles and
>not a specific question about any particular game.
>
>  In any case, you don't execute Makefiles.  They are not programs.  You use
>the "make" program to build programs based on what's in the Makefile.  A
>Makefile is a configuration file for the "make" program.  See the man page for
>"make" for more information.

  I think he was just being fast and loose with his language and then
  you never answered the question ( and you are usually so good at this
  stuff! :) )
  Anyway I (and everyone else on the net no doubt) suspect that the
  Makefile he is calling is trying to save a file on a directory he
  has no permission for or something to that effect. Reading the man
  page on make wouldn't buy him anything here :)

>--
>Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
>MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
>jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
>Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr9.123336.12706@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:

>>  This would probably be better in comp.unix.questions rather than in
>>comp.sources.games.bugs, since it is a general question about Makefiles and
>>not a specific question about any particular game.

>>  In any case, you don't execute Makefiles.  They are not programs.  You use
>>the "make" program to build programs based on what's in the Makefile.  A
>>Makefile is a configuration file for the "make" program.  See the man page for
>>"make" for more information.

>  I think he was just being fast and loose with his language and then
>  you never answered the question ( and you are usually so good at this
>  stuff! :) )

Actually, I think jik did answer the question, but the question require very
special attention to *precise* wording.  The original question implies that he
was trying to type:

	Makefile

rather than

	make

Of course you'd get permission denied from the former.  Unless the makefile
was executable.  In that case, the errors would be "interesting"....
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) (04/14/91)

In article <1385@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.123336.12706@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr8.215454.22894@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>>  I think he was just being fast and loose with his language and then
>>  you never answered the question ( and you are usually so good at this
>>  stuff! :) )

I wonder what Patrick thinks the problem really is or what the answer is,
if not what Jonathan said.

>	Makefile
>
>rather than
>
>	make
>
>Of course you'd get permission denied from the former.

Only from csh.  sh says "execute permission denied", ksh says "cannot execute",
and bash says "command not found".