[comp.unix.questions] simultaneous bidirectional file tranfer

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (04/13/91)

Two years or so ago, a file transfer protocol called BiModem began to
become popular in the MS-DOS world.  It allows simultaneous
bidirectional file transfer, with both channels running at or near
ZModem speeds (this is possible because the standard 1200 and 2400 bps
modems can operate their two channels simultaneously at full speed).
Many MS-DOS BBSes now support simultaneous upload and download using
BiModem.

I'd love to see an implementation of this for UNIX, since in the best
case it can cut total file transfer (upload + download) time in half,
but I haven't been able to find one.  Erik Labs Inc., the source of
the MS-DOS implementation, seems to be very tight-lipped.  Does anyone
know of, or even know of plans for, a UNIX implementation?  Or
something equivalent, which also exists for MS-DOS PCs?

Thanks,

//richard

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (04/16/91)

In <22376@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

>I'd love to see an implementation of this for UNIX, since in the best
>case it can cut total file transfer (upload + download) time in half,
>but I haven't been able to find one.  Erik Labs Inc., the source of
>the MS-DOS implementation, seems to be very tight-lipped.  Does anyone
>know of, or even know of plans for, a UNIX implementation?  Or
>something equivalent, which also exists for MS-DOS PCs?

Yes, i'd like to see one too.

Apparently there is a public domain protocol called JANUS which is being
used with binkleyterm under DOS.  I hear that source is available, but
i'm not sure where.

What would be the ultimate is to have this incorporated into UUCP
(b protocol maybe??).

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of the JANUS source, please
mail me!

Thanks

Aris

--