[comp.unix.questions] "Following" these subject messages

markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) (04/17/91)

The prompt when you enter the "follow" command here says you should
delete unnecessary text.  Is there an easier way to do this than
one line at a time?  I'm tempted to not delete if it would take me
five minutes to delete each line at a time before I even get to
enter my reply.  Mark.

tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn) (04/17/91)

In article <4y2i14w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>, markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:
> The prompt when you enter the "follow" command here says you should
> delete unnecessary text.  Is there an easier way to do this than
> one line at a time?  I'm tempted to not delete if it would take me
> five minutes to delete each line at a time before I even get to
> enter my reply.  Mark.

     What editor are you using?

--
        -Ted L. Glenn             "Don't worry, be happy!" <--Ack! Pffffhhht!
         tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu        tlglenn@hacks.arizona.edu

From the keyboard of markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen):
:The prompt when you enter the "follow" command here says you should
:delete unnecessary text.  Is there an easier way to do this than
:one line at a time?  I'm tempted to not delete if it would take me
:five minutes to delete each line at a time before I even get to
:enter my reply.  Mark.

If it takes you 5 minutes per delete each line, then I suggest
you find a different editor.  [ :-)? ]  Really, deleting a line
or a bunch of them should just take a few keystrokes.

--tom

markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) (04/18/91)

tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn) writes:

> In article <4y2i14w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>, markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark R
> > The prompt when you enter the "follow" command here says you should
> > delete unnecessary text.  Is there an easier way to do this than
> > one line at a time?  I'm tempted to not delete if it would take me
> > five minutes to delete each line at a time before I even get to
> > enter my reply.  Mark.
>

>      What editor are you using?
>
> --
>         -Ted L. Glenn             "Don't worry, be happy!" <--Ack! Pffffhhht!
>          tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu        tlglenn@hacks.arizona.edu
>          G19382105@ccit.arizona.edu    G19382105@ARIZRVAX.BITNET

I really don't know what editor I'm using, since I'm just reading the
Usenet conference messages on the shark.cs.fau.edu system.
  The main prompt while looking at messages is "Qs>" for whatever that's
worth.  One of the available commands is "follow", which
automatically quotes the message you're responding to.  But it seems
to me that I have to delete each line one at a time, rather than in a
block.  Sorry I don't have any more info, but I'm new at this internet
thing, and I'm trying to learn.
Mark.

tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn) (04/18/91)

In article <Z57J11w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>, markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:
> I really don't know what editor I'm using, since I'm just reading the
> Usenet conference messages on the shark.cs.fau.edu system.
>   The main prompt while looking at messages is "Qs>" for whatever that's
> worth.  One of the available commands is "follow", which
> automatically quotes the message you're responding to.  But it seems
> to me that I have to delete each line one at a time, rather than in a
> block.  Sorry I don't have any more info, but I'm new at this internet
> thing, and I'm trying to learn.

      I should've asked this before, but what news reading/posting program
do you use (vnews, bnews, rn, etc)?