[comp.unix.questions] ascii tape

JTUCKER%cs-den.prime.com@relay.cs.net (04/16/91)

Help;

I've got a US census tape I can not figure out how to read on a SUN
The 1/2" tape is in ascii format.  Does anyone know what UNIX commands will
let me extract the files.

Thanks

Jeff
jtucker@cs-den

In article <26571@adm.brl.mil> JTUCKER%cs-den.prime.com@relay.cs.net writes:
>I've got a US census tape I can not figure out how to read on a SUN
>The 1/2" tape is in ascii format.  Does anyone know what UNIX commands will
>let me extract the files.

I think you mean "ANSI format".  I know of two publically available Unix
programs that can read them: ansitar and ansitape.  Ansitape seems to be
more recent, and is in Volume 8 of the comp.sources.unix archive, which you
can get from uunet.uu.net, in the directory
/comp.sources.unix/volume8/ansitape.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com