[comp.unix.questions] Internet Sites

jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) (04/17/91)

Sorry if this is the wrong bboard for this question  ...

Is there any way to obtain a list of all the internet adresses w/ names. I
realize there are quite a few internet adresses, but I would like to
sift through all of them in order to assemble a complete host table.

tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu (Ted L. Glenn) (04/17/91)

In article <Yc34YyW00WBNA108Mv@andrew.cmu.edu>, jy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jules Andrew Yasuna) writes:
> Sorry if this is the wrong bboard for this question  ...
>
> Is there any way to obtain a list of all the internet adresses w/ names. I
> realize there are quite a few internet adresses, but I would like to
> sift through all of them in order to assemble a complete host table.

     Well, one thing you could try is sending mail to service@nic.ddn.mil
with "HELP" as the subject and/or body of the message. Then you can
take it from there. It's also a good way to discover what's
available from nic.ddn.mil (other than what you're looking for).

--
        -Ted L. Glenn             "Don't worry, be happy!" <--Ack! Pffffhhht!
         tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu        tlglenn@hacks.arizona.edu

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (04/17/91)

(Jules Andrew Yasuna) writes:
>Is there any way to obtain a list of all the internet adresses w/
>[host]names.

It is possible to do a domain tree walk using zone transfers (see,
e.g., robodoc).  This takes several weeks, and at the rate the Internet
changes, any complete host table will be out of date within about
10 minutes.  (I have assumed 100000 changes per year, or one every
447 seconds, in a uniform distribution.  This is inexact but fairly
close.)

A complete domain tree walk is not possible as some large sites refuse
zone transfers; however, you should be able to assemble a list of about
300000 hosts.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov

hugh_davies.wgc1@rx.xerox.com (04/19/91)

<...Is there any way to obtain a list of all the internet adresses w/ names. I
realize there are quite a few internet adresses, but I would like to
sift through all of them in order to assemble a complete host table...>

Why would anyone want to do this? Nobody in their right minds assembles a
"complete host table". That's what DNS is for. I refer you to Comer, Ch.18.

Regards,

Hugh.
"Somebody's boring me. I think it it's me."
	Dylan Thomas (1914-53). Welsh Poet.