[comp.unix.questions] hide cursor in the curses?

srcan@seas.gwu.edu (Srcan Osmanagich) (04/23/91)

Is there any routine in the curses library that will 'hide' text cursor.

-- Srcan --

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (04/23/91)

In article <3104@sparko.gwu.edu>, srcan@seas.gwu.edu (Srcan Osmanagich) writes:
> Is there any routine in the curses library that will 'hide' text cursor.
>

> -- Srcan --

The attron,attroff, and attrset can use the attribute A_BLANK which
will blank out the cursor.

I think this is what you were asking about.

Thanks,

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

FFAAC09@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Nicole Delbecque & Paul Bijnens) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.011203.4813@cbnewsk.att.com>, jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van
valkenburg) says:

>In article <3104@sparko.gwu.edu>, srcan@seas.gwu.edu (Srcan Osmanagich)
>writes:
>> Is there any routine in the curses library that will 'hide' text cursor.
>>

>The attron,attroff, and attrset can use the attribute A_BLANK which
>will blank out the cursor.
>
>I think this is what you were asking about.

I think he asked for the function curs_set()
    curs_set(0)  is cursor invisible,
    curs_set(1)  is cursor normal,
    curs_set(2)  is cursor very visible.
However, this function is (as far as I know) only available
in the curses-package in Unix V.3 (ans SunOS S5-curses).
The function is absent in V.2-curses or BSD-curses.
And... many terminals cannot make their cursor invisible (insufficient
hardware support);
and... many terminfo-databases, as delivered don't include the
control sequences (terminfo: civis, cnorm, cvvis; termcap: vi, ve, vs),
so you may have to add them to your terminfo/termcap database.
--
Polleke   (Paul Bijnens)
Linguistics dept., K. University Leuven, Belgium