[comp.unix.questions] Parallel printing over TCP/IP

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (04/23/91)

I want to start by apologizing if this is being posted to the wrong group.
Feel free to point me in the right direction.

I have several laser printers that I would like to set up on my network.
TCP/IP running on thin ethernet.

I want to use the parallel port because the postscript files that we
print transmit much faster than they would over a serial connection at 19200.

I saw a box for sale that was around 1500 bucks... Does anyone know of
anything cheaper ?  I dont need clusters of these printers off of one box
... ideally they would be located centrally  ...

I am sure I am not the first to encounter such a problem.

Thanks for any help you can give.  Rob.

--
 ____    ____     ____                       Core Lab - Western Atlas Int'l INC
 \   \  /   /\   /    \     Rob              Humans     (318) 235-9431

sl@wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (04/27/91)

In article <1932@lafayet.UUCP> rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:

>I want to use the parallel port because the postscript files that we
>print transmit much faster than they would over a serial connection at 19200.
>
>I saw a box for sale that was around 1500 bucks... Does anyone know of
>anything cheaper ?  I dont need clusters of these printers off of one box
>... ideally they would be located centrally  ...

Microplex at 604-875-1461 has a small box that attaches directly to the
ethernet and will drive a printer. Basically a box with two connectors,
parallel and bnc (they may have serial and transceiver versions as well).

Something well under $1000 CDN i believe.

Havn't tried it, was just talking to someone over there when I picked up
some modems and he mentioned that it was a new product they where working
on.

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7785 604-937-7718(fax) sl@wimsey.bc.ca