[comp.unix.questions] serial ports

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (04/27/91)

In article <fe5fe0a999d428185a38@rose.uucp>
	cary.lewis@rose.uucp (CARY LEWIS) writes:
> When you install a second board (for the third and possibly
>fourth serial port) you share an interrupt with the first board, but
>use different IO ports.

No I don't.  Interrupt signals on a peecee are active logic, not wired
or.  If you try to put multiple peripherals on a single IRQ you create
bus contention.

You can throw as many dumb COM ports into the system you'd like, as
long as you have unique interrupts and i/o addresses for each.  SCO
configures in only the first two COM ports - the rest you need to add
yourself.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.