[comp.unix.questions] SH Memory Fault

nelson@berlioz.nsc.com (Taed Nelson) writes:

>I have a Makefile which eventually runs the following command, producing:
>	cd QA; ../espresso -eeat -DPLAverify 15updn.p1 15updn.p2 \
>        	1> 15updn.cmp 2>&1
>	sh: 25286 Memory fault
>	*** Error code 139

expresso (probably) is getting the memory fault, the shell is just reporting
about it.   A memory fault is usually caused by a bad pointer of going off
the end of an array.

If the program (expresso) has write permission in the directory that it
is running in and it can write a 'core' file, the message would have
been something like "memory fault - core dumped".  You could take
the executable and the core file and use a debugger (dbx, sdb, adb)
to find out what is causing the problem.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170