[comp.unix.questions] QUESTION ON THE USE OF BRU

ghm@chem.ucsd.edu (Ghirmai Meresi) (04/30/91)

 What exactly does the set of commands :

       bru -cvvv -s 250M ghm
do ?

Thanks in advance.
Ghirmai

ires@kaspar.ires.com (Bruce R Larson) (04/30/91)

In article <1114@chem.ucsd.EDU> ghm@chem.ucsd.edu (Ghirmai Meresi) writes:

> What exactly does the set of commands :
>
>       bru -cvvv -s 250M ghm
>do ?

This creates a bru archive of the ghm directory tree on the
default device.

c -> create an archive
v -> do it verbosely
s -> size of archive medium   ([Mm] = megabytes, ...)
f -> the archive file name (normally a device, like /dev/rct0)

If no `f' flag is present then the default device in
/etc/brutab is used.

Type `bru -h | less' to see a better description of bru's
arguments, or better still, consult the bru documentation
for complete info.

BRU is a commercial archiver from Enhanced Software Technologies.

For more info you can contact either:
*	me at one of the addresses in my .sig, or
*	Jeff at estinc!jeff

Bruce
--
Bruce R. Larson
Integral Resources, Milton MA

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/30/91)

ghm@chem.ucsd.edu (Ghirmai Meresi) writes:

> What exactly does the set of commands :

>       bru -cvvv -s 250M ghm
>do ?

bru is a backup-restore utility.

 -c creates a new archive
 vvv sets the level of verbosity of output; vvv is pretty verbose
 -s 250M tells it that the media size is 250MB
 ghm is (presumably) the directory or file which you with to back up