[comp.unix.questions] curses

jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa (Freedman) (09/22/87)

  If this has already come through - I apologize. I am a Unix novice
and a mailer klutz.

  I am running Ultrix on a vax 8600. I have a program that uses
curses to play with the screen and put the terminal in an out
of CBREAK (I use select also). What happens if I run this thing
in a non-interactive mode (redirected standard io) as some
sort of background or batch.

  Again - if this has already come through I apologize. I am klutz

Jerry Freedman, Jr      "As you wander through life
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa   Whatever be your goal
(617)271-6248 or 7555    Keep your eye upon the doughnut
                          and not on the hole"

jdinkins@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (nobody) (08/18/89)

   I have been having some problems with curses.
I was writing a program that uses curses and porting it over to SUN
workstations and have been having problems with xterm windows of changed
size. (window size was changed both before and after program was run)

I have used ioctl() to get the new size and caught the appropriate
signals and my program works fine except that curses doesn't seem to know
about the changed size and doesn't allow me to print outside the original
size of the window found in /etc/termcap

  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--
\\         ___/~~O~~\___         //             snikniD "iknid" ffeJ
  ====____/   \.. ../   \____====               EDU.yloPlaC.olsylop@sniknidj

tmcclory@odin.wright.edu (Tom McClory) (02/17/90)

Are there any good tutorials available on using Curses, particularly
using the multiple windows to implement pop up windows, pull down
menus, cascading menus, scrollable lists, and all the other nifty
user interface kinds of things that are the current rage.  Source code
or tutorial articles would be a great help.

For that matter, are there any "toolkits" available that would let
me build up a user interface with these kinds of features
w/o reinventing a lot of wheels?

What I'm thinking of is building a character based user interface
somewhat like Tandy's Deskmate or Microsoft Quick C, given a
terminal with vt100 like capabilities and a 9600 baud or faster
tty line.

Thanks in advance,

Tom McClory			tmcclory@wright.edu
Wright State Univ.
Dayton OH. 45435

kim@wacsvax.OZ (Kim Shearer) (02/20/90)

tmcclory@odin.wright.edu (Tom McClory) writes:

>Are there any good tutorials available on using Curses, particularly
>using the multiple windows to implement pop up windows, pull down
>menus, cascading menus, scrollable lists, and all the other nifty
>user interface kinds of things that are the current rage.  Source code
>or tutorial articles would be a great help.

>For that matter, are there any "toolkits" available that would let
>me build up a user interface with these kinds of features
>w/o reinventing a lot of wheels?

 Any information on this type of "toolkit" would
be greatly appreciated.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
Kim Shearer                      |     ARPA: kim%wacsvax.uwa.oz@uunet.uu.net
Dept. of Computer Science        |     UUCP: ..!uunet!munnari!wacsvax!kim
University of Western Australia  |     ACSnet: kim@wacsvax.uwa.oz
CRAWLEY, Australia 6009          |     PHONE:  +61 9 380 3452
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) (05/03/91)

I am linking with Sys5 curses(3). The _y element of WINDOW *stdscr and windows
created by newwin() have normal characters in it. The _y element of a WINDOW
structure is usually a pointer to a pointer of unsigned two-byte numbers
(shorts on our machines).  Simple enough. The lower (LSB) byte corresponds to
the actual character and the upper (MSB) contains the video attribute.
                              +  Question:
  mvaddstr(0, 0, "Test");     |     Why does curscr->_y[i][j] (where i < LINES
  mvaddstr(1, 0, "One");      |     and j < COLS) NEVER contain any characters
  refresh();                  |     that are in ANY window on the screen?
Will put a:                   |
'T' in stdscr->_y[0][0] and a |     What is curscr->_y really pointing to and
'e' in stdscr->_y[0][1] and a |     how does one use curscr->_y DIRECTLY to
's' in stdscr->_y[0][2] and a |     get all characters on the screen no matter
't' in stdscr->_y[0][3] and a |     how many windows are on the screen?
'O' in stdscr->_y[1][0] and a |
'n' in stdscr->_y[1][1] and a |     Can anyone with source to curses help?
'e' in stdscr->_y[1][1]       |     Thanx.     uunet!mcnc!unccvax!cs00chs
                              |                cs00chs@unccvax.mcnc.edu
Assuming no video attributes  |
are set.                      |
--
 .--------------------------.  ...  |On the border of your mind lies a place
 |uunet!mcnc!unccvax!cs00chs|  (")  |where dreams and reality are one...I will
 `--------------------------'-w-U-w-|take you there, for I am the subject...
 \%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\|the subject of your imagination. -Aldo Nova