[comp.unix.questions] Capture a talk session

leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) (04/30/91)

How to "record" a 'talk' session?
I tried 'script' already, it doesn't work, any reason why it doesn't?

Thanks in advance, appreciate if you can reply through mail.

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.193455.8650@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:
>How to "record" a 'talk' session?

Offhand, I'd say

	talk user | /bin/tee talk.script

But, of course, that will include all of the terminal escape codes.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

mjr@utopia.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) (04/30/91)

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>In article <1991Apr29.193455.8650@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:
>>How to "record" a 'talk' session?

>Offhand, I'd say

>	talk user | /bin/tee talk.script

>But, of course, that will include all of the terminal escape codes.

Or, you could use a program called Ytalk which has this option built
right in.  It also allows splitting of the talk window to allow other
ytalkers to have up to a 5-way chat, and you can use ytalk to talk to
everyone else still using regular talk.

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/02/91)

In article <mjr.673014796@utopia> mjr@utopia.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:
>Or, you could use a program called Ytalk which has this option built
>right in.  It also allows splitting of the talk window to allow other
>ytalkers to have up to a 5-way chat, and you can use ytalk to talk to
>everyone else still using regular talk.

Archie sez:

Host ix2.cc.utexas.edu   (128.83.1.29)
Last updated 16:32  5 Apr 1991

    Location: /pub/ytalk
      FILE      rw-r--r--     65712  Dec  6 14:56   ytalk.shar

Host ix1.cc.utexas.edu   (128.83.1.21)
Last updated 15:01  5 Apr 1991

    Location: /pub/ytalk
      FILE      rw-r--r--     65712  Dec  6 14:56   ytalk.shar

Host uop.uop.edu   (138.9.200.1)
Last updated 17:42 24 Apr 1991

    Location: /
      FILE      rw-r--r--     27217  Dec  3 12:00   ytalk.tar.Z

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith "innovation, not litigation...") (05/03/91)

In <mjr.673014796@utopia> mjr@utopia.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney) writes:

> c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

> >In article <1991Apr29.193455.8650@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:
> >>How to "record" a 'talk' session?

	One way is to say "script", then initiate the talk, then exit the
subshell when the talk is over.  The problem is sorting through all of the
escape codes later in the typescript file to try to determine who
said what...

				Daniel
--
daniel@island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)