[comp.unix.questions] FTP directories

mpaf1216@med.unc.edu (Matthew Sean Pardo) (04/29/91)

Is there a way to FTP a directory or subdirectory
as opposed to just getting files?

Thanks in advance

Matt

P.S. I want the directories to include the files! :-)

In article <3549@beguine.UUCP>, mpaf1216@med.unc.edu (Matthew Sean Pardo) writes:
|> Is there a way to FTP a directory or subdirectory
|> as opposed to just getting files?

  No.  You can use "mget" to tell it to get multiple files in a directory, but
there is no way to do recursive retrievals of a directory.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.203050.8621@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <3549@beguine.UUCP>, mpaf1216@med.unc.edu (Matthew Sean Pardo) writes:
>|> Is there a way to FTP a directory or subdirectory

>  No.  You can use "mget" to tell it to get multiple files in a directory, but
>there is no way to do recursive retrievals of a directory.

rftp (for "recursive ftp") is an expect script that ftps directories.
It comes with the expect distribution.  (Email "send pub/expect.shar.Z"
to library@cme.nist.gov or anonymous ftp same from durer.cme.nist.gov.)

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (05/10/91)

In article <2399@muffin.cme.nist.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:

>>  No.  You can use "mget" to tell it to get multiple files in a directory, but
>>there is no way to do recursive retrievals of a directory.
>
>rftp (for "recursive ftp") is an expect script that ftps directories.
>It comes with the expect distribution.  (Email "send pub/expect.shar.Z"
>to library@cme.nist.gov or anonymous ftp same from durer.cme.nist.gov.)
>
>Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

The mget in my ISC ftp will recursivley get directories, if they exist
on the target machine already.  If I want a directory tree all I do is
get the layout and then go to shell, make the directories, go to the
top of the tree, and do my mget.

Jim
--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.065919.3216@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>The mget in my ISC ftp will recursivley get directories, if they exist
>on the target machine already.  If I want a directory tree all I do is
>get the layout and then go to shell, make the directories, go to the
>top of the tree, and do my mget.

Yeah, but will it do the same for subdirectory tree >1 level deep?
None of the ftp's I've seen will do that; if yours does, more power to
you.

Some sites (our local scam.berkeley.edu, for instance) have set up
modified ftpd's which automatically tar and feather subdirectories
that you try to ftp.  This, of course, depends on the site concerned.

The only way I know of that will work for ALL sites (aside from
grabbing the BSD ftp source and tinkering around with that) is the
solution Don proposed (ie. the rftp/expect combo).  Anyone have any
better solutions?

libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.065919.3216@jadpc.cts.com> jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
-In article <2399@muffin.cme.nist.gov> libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
->rftp (for "recursive ftp") is an expect script that ftps directories.
->It comes with the expect distribution.  (Email "send pub/expect.shar.Z"
->to library@cme.nist.gov or anonymous ftp same from durer.cme.nist.gov.)

-The mget in my ISC ftp will recursivley get directories, if they exist
-on the target machine already.  If I want a directory tree all I do is
-get the layout and then go to shell, make the directories, go to the
-top of the tree, and do my mget.

Why are you admitting this?  Sounds like ISC did a half-assed job.
Why doesn't it create the directories for you?

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes