[comp.unix.questions] Using !!

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (05/13/91)

To all: instead of using !! to repeat my last command, I'm looking for a way
to repeat my last command *without* a <CR>, like the Dos F3 key. Is there
an easy implementation for this?

						Thank you, Larry

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.132820.21884@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:
>To all: instead of using !! to repeat my last command, I'm looking for a way
>to repeat my last command *without* a <CR>, like the Dos F3 key. Is there
>an easy implementation for this?

Get a decent shell, like tcsh or zsh. They do more than just previous-line
history, and pretty soon, you'll want most of their features in MS-DOS.

			-Kartik

--
internet% ypwhich

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik@silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO@PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.132820.21884@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:

:To all: instead of using !! to repeat my last command, I'm looking for a way
:to repeat my last command *without* a <CR>, like the Dos F3 key. Is there
:an easy implementation for this?

I take it you're using csh.  One solution is to switch to tcsh if you
have it, where ^P (or usually the up-arrow key) will give you your
previous command in a manner to your liking.

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)

ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Esther Filderman) (05/14/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.questions: 14-May-91 Re: Using !! Mike
O'Connor@irie.ais.o (509)

> I take it you're using csh.  One solution is to switch to tcsh if you
> have it, where ^P (or usually the up-arrow key) will give you your
> previous command in a manner to your liking.

Just a note: Do NOT get into the habit of using tcsh or any other shell
with a ^P key binding if you are a DEC mainframe systems mangler, err,
manager,  or operator ...

Esther C. Filderman     ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu
System Manager          Library Automation
Mercury Project         Carnegie Mellon University
        They are gardeners and carpenters.
        They are not tomato men.

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (05/16/91)

	If you are using csh, !34:p will make command #34 your last command.
Maybe this is not quite what you wanted, but it's close.