[comp.unix.questions] Password to single-user mode?

kenc@suntan.viewlogic.com (Kenstir) (05/15/91)

Can you add a password so that Ms. Anybody cannot
walk up to my Sparc and boot single user?
Also, would this change prevent Ms. Anybody from
booting from some device other than disk and then
poking around the file system?

SparcStation 1, SunOS 4.1.

Thanks for any help!

--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/15/91)

In <1991May14.181215.3306@viewlogic.com>, kenc@suntan.viewlogic.com writes:
>Can you add a password so that Ms. Anybody cannot
>walk up to my Sparc and boot single user?

  Take 'secure' out of the entry for the console in /etc/ttytab. It'll
  make it exactly like any other terminal; also, any attempt to boot
  single-user (or shut down, or whatever), requires giving the root
  pwd, whether or not you were root when you shut it down. Perfect for
  when your server's not well isolated.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

berg@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephen R. van den Berg) (05/16/91)

In article <Y7P+J-B@cs.widener.edu> brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>In <1991May14.181215.3306@viewlogic.com>, kenc@suntan.viewlogic.com writes:
>>Can you add a password so that Ms. Anybody cannot
>>walk up to my Sparc and boot single user?

>  Take 'secure' out of the entry for the console in /etc/ttytab. It'll

Even more secure would be changing the builtin-monitor security mode.
Look up "man eeprom" for more info.
--
Sincerely,                 berg@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de
           Stephen R. van den Berg.