[comp.unix.questions] learning Unix C

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (05/11/91)

To all: I am a novice programmer who has taken courses in 8080 assembly and
turbo pascal, and am comfortable with Dos and Unix basics. I would now like to
learn C in the Unix environment (specifically SunOS 4.1). Could someone
recommend a good book, starting with "hello world", and finishing with some
level of proficiency?

Thank you in advance for any input.

							-Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/13/91)

|> To all: I am a novice programmer who has taken courses in 8080 assembly and
|> turbo pascal, and am comfortable with Dos and Unix basics. I would now like to
|> learn C in the Unix environment (specifically SunOS 4.1). Could someone
|> recommend a good book, starting with "hello world", and finishing with some
|> level of proficiency?

|> Thank you in advance for any input.

|> 							-Larry Stern

First, there is the bible of the C but for which the exact title
escapes me and which has been borrowed from me.  Now, my suggestion
is to get that book along with "C: The Complete Reference" which was
written by Herbert Schildt.  I find it an invaluable reference when
I am looking up this or that.  I am a fairly new beginner to C
programming and keep both next to me when I am doing my work.

C: The Complete Reference
Herbert Schildt
Osborn McGraw-Hill

ISBN 0-07-881263-1

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) (05/13/91)

>To all: I am a novice programmer who has taken courses in 8080 assembly and
>turbo pascal, and am comfortable with Dos and Unix basics. I would now like to
>learn C in the Unix environment (specifically SunOS 4.1). Could someone
>recommend a good book, starting with "hello world", and finishing with some
>level of proficiency?
>
>Thank you in advance for any input.
>
>							-Larry Stern

Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
"C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).

This book is a college level textbook designed to teach C a a first
programming language.  It will cover all your introductory C needs
independent of your operating system (DOS or UX).

I have used it as a textbook in an "on the job" course I taught.  It has
been a fully satisfactory text.

			---------------------

Standard Disclaimer:
Any opinions expressed or inferred by the above message can be only
be construed to be my own and have no necessary correspondence with any
opinion held by my employer.

Jim Rogers
Hewlett-Packard Company

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/14/91)

In article <7370027@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM> jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) writes:
=Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
="C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).

It appears to have been superseded by their "New C Primer Plus" which is
almost identical and has somewhat fewer errors.

Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) (05/14/91)

In article <7370027@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM> jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) writes:
>>To all: I am a novice programmer who has taken courses in 8080 assembly and
>>turbo pascal, and am comfortable with Dos and Unix basics. I would now like to
>>learn C in the Unix environment (specifically SunOS 4.1). Could someone
>>recommend a good book, starting with "hello world", and finishing with some
>>level of proficiency?
>>
>>Thank you in advance for any input.
>>
>>							-Larry Stern
>
>Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
>"C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).
>
>Jim Rogers

If you want to look at C first, and have a PC, you might want to look at
the "Learn C" book from Microsoft.  It includes the front end to the quick C
compiler.  It provides syntax specific help screens, templates, and an on-line
tutorial, complete with thirty or so working example programs.  It won't let
you build .exe or .com files though.  It will, however, run your program while
within the LearnC environment - sort of like loading basic to run BAS programs.

The way I use it is to write the code and then "compile" to check for syntax
stuff.  I then move it to another system (Unix) to do a final compile...
Somewhat of a kludge, but when you have CC and only need a "syntax checker",
it'll do (especially working at home).   But I digress...

I also let a neighbor run through the tutorial (a novice programmer) and he was
writing reasonable code in about two weeks.  I can't say much more about the
product since I only use it in a very limited way, however the book and LearnC
compiler/environment was only $30.00 or so.  You can't go wrong in my opinion.

The Waite Group text is also one that I have good things about...

Steve
--
.-------------------..-------------------------.
| Stephen C. Daukas ||  sdaukas@csd.harris.com |

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (05/16/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>In article <7370027@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM> jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) writes:
>=Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
>="C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).

>It appears to have been superseded by their "New C Primer Plus" which is
>almost identical and has somewhat fewer errors.

No, the Step-by-Step is more of a text book that the New C primer Plus
and even comes with a teachers guide.

Pete
--
     Peter Schmitt                                          UNIX Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center                                Computing  Services

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/17/91)

=
=>In article <7370027@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM> jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) writes:
=>=Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
=>="C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).
=
=>It appears to have been superseded by their "New C Primer Plus" which is
=>almost identical and has somewhat fewer errors.
=
=No, the Step-by-Step is more of a text book that the New C primer Plus
=and even comes with a teachers guide.

Pete,
	I don't see how you can say the SxS is more of a text than CP+;
they are almost identical.  Check out the chapter summary, review
questions and programming exercises at the end of each chapter.  CP+ is
almost 100 pages longer, too.  The instructor's manual (not "teachers
[sic] guide") for SxS is little more than an answer book.  No slide
masters, no sample tests, no alternative solutions nor discussions
thereof.  I have it and haven't opened it since I first reviewed it.
We're switching from SxS to CP+ next fall; I'll let you know if it's
any better.

Pete