[comp.unix.questions] Mail Redirection

afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (05/16/91)

Is there a way to automatically (i.e. while I'm at a USENIX conference
for example :) ) to redirect my e-mail to a co-worker?
Is there maybe some public domain software that can do this?
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/17/91)

Pat-|> Is there a way to automatically (i.e. while I'm at a USENIX conference
Pat-|> for example :) ) to redirect my e-mail to a co-worker?
Pat-|> Is there maybe some public domain software that can do this?
Pat-|> --
Pat-|> Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Pat-|> Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.
Pat-|> phertel@cmc.aes.doe.ca     Dorval,Quebec
Pat-|> Environment Canada         CANADA           H9P1J3

	You will want to take a look at the vacation(1).  It should
	be able to do just about anything you seem to be intested in
	(including also saving a copy of the message for yourself.)

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) (05/17/91)

:
:All you need is a .forward file in your ~/

:Problems : It does'nt keep any copy in your mailbox for your reference.
:           It gets confused if you specify yourself as recipient.
:

you can specify a file to direct your mail to in your .forward

________.forward______
coworker@address,/usr/users/me/mbox

be careful ( at least on my sun's ..) the file must exist and be
world-writeable

according to the sun manual ( which is particulatrly cryptic ) you can
"forward" the mail to yourself with a backslash

coworker@address,/usr/users/me/mbox,\me

or pipe to a command ( rtm.. )  see also vacation(1)

I've found the forward system to be a bit high strung.  Make an error
in one entry ( such as wrong file protection ) and your mail may not
get sent to any of the intended recipiants.

 Also mail bouncing back from an forward-to address gets re forwarded
to that address in an infinite loop, eventually being sent >/dev/null
I found out the hard way, hmm I havent gotten any mail all week :-(
 BTW, before i get 100 rtfm's It looks like there is a way to handle
this but I still think it is worth pointing out the potential problem.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/17/91)

In article <JC.91May16163914@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>You will want to take a look at the vacation(1).  It should
>be able to do just about anything you seem to be intested in
>(including also saving a copy of the message for yourself.)

I believe the original poster merely wanted to _redirect_ mail to a
co-worker (for immediate processing, I presume), in which case
vacation(1) is overkill.  A simple e-mail forwarding address in
~/.forward would do nicely.

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu
Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
System Manager, ME Dept.
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (05/17/91)

In article <4328@pluto.dss.com>, irfan@pluto.dss.com (Syed M. Irfan Ashraf) writes:
> In article <1991May16.144131.11440@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA () writes:
> %Is there a way to automatically (i.e. while I'm at a USENIX conference
> %for example :) ) to redirect my e-mail to a co-worker?
>
> All you need is a .forward file in your ~/
> Check it with your local UNIX documentation. Put the email addresses of
> co-worker there.
>
> You can have more than one forwarding addresses. It works automatically.
> Problems : It does'nt keep any copy in your mailbox for your reference.
>            It gets confused if you specify yourself as recipient.
>
> %Is there maybe some public domain software that can do this?
> %--
> %Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
> %Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.
> %phertel@cmc.aes.doe.ca     Dorval,Quebec
> %Environment Canada         CANADA           H9P1J3
>
> --
> Irfan

> All praises to God; The Sustainer/Lord of all universes.

This function is part of the mail(1) command in UNIX.

In part the format is

mail -Fsysid!userid

or

mail -F"userid,sys!user,sysa!userb"

for multi forwards

and to remove the forwarding

mail -F""

Thanks

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers) (05/17/91)

>You can have more than one forwarding addresses. It works automatically.
>Problems : It does'nt keep any copy in your mailbox for your reference.
>           It gets confused if you specify yourself as recipient.

What kind of system are you using that gets confused if you specify
yourself as a recipient?  I've seen it work under SunOS and under
Ultrix.  It <should> work.

--
----------

Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road
(617) 271-2143			Bedford, MA 01730
kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org	your_neighborhood!linus!mbunix!kepowers

afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (05/17/91)

 Thanks to the many who answered my question about mail forwarding
 The almost unanimous consensus was cretaing a file  .forward
 with the foorwarding address in it. Despite the fact that no
 man exists for it (an SGI running IRIX) it worked. I get the
 impression that this is pretty common knowledge. How the hell
 do you achieve this nirvana of "common knowledge" in UNIX!?
 I have RTFM'ed myself blind.
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.
phertel@cmc.aes.doe.ca     Dorval,Quebec
Environment Canada         CANADA           H9P1J3

> Thanks to the many who answered my question about mail forwarding
> The almost unanimous consensus was cretaing a file  .forward
> with the foorwarding address in it. Despite the fact that no
> man exists for it (an SGI running IRIX)

Did you try reading SENDMAIL(1M) (I'm assuming that since IRIX is
S5-flavored, the "sendmail" man page would be in section 1M; if it's not
there, try looking in other sections)?

(BTW, most of the replies seemed to assume that you were running a mail
system that supported ".forward"; "sendmail" does, and some others may
as well, but I don't think they *all* do.  You happened to, in fact, be
running one that did, but if you weren't, all the ".forward" advice
would have been for naught.

Another reply assumed you were running a system where "mail -F" would
start forwarding up; that's an S5ism, and, while IRIX may support it,
not *all* UNIX systems do.)

tomb@marque.mu.edu (Tom Baas) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May16.144131.11440@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA () writes:
>Is there a way to automatically (i.e. while I'm at a USENIX conference
>for example :) ) to redirect my e-mail to a co-worker?
>Is there maybe some public domain software that can do this?

You probably don't need any additional software.

Depending on what kind of mailer you have you can:

1) In your empty $MAIL file
   put an entry: Forward to: username

2) In your $HOME directory
   create a file: .forward
          a file called  .forward
   In this file put an entry: username

On the systems I work with, either one of these choices work but they are
handled differently so if they both work on your system I would test each
one to see which one works best(correctly).
--
I can accept e-mail and Voice-mail at:
tbaas!tom      or   tom@tbaas      or  ....marque!tomb  or  tomb@marque