[comp.unix.questions] question

prasad@csvax.csc.lsu.edu (Prasad Anant S.) (08/14/90)

Can anyone out there help me out with how to get the list server or keeper's namnamem
e for USENET?
Thanks
Prasad

c029nit@utarlg.utarl.edu (NITEEN DAMLE) (10/22/90)

Hi !

I am a novice to the UNIX and I hv a question which u people might be able
to answer.
Last night I was browsing through the directories using ls command with -l
option. In dev directory I found letters s, c, b for some of the names in place
of d.
I want to know what these letters stand for.
Only I know that d means directory.
                 l   "    link.      [am I correct? ]
		 -   "    file.

Regds

Niteen S. Damle.
c029nit@utarlg.utarl.edu

hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com (Greg Hunt) (10/23/90)

In article <9409@helios.TAMU.EDU>, c029nit@utarlg.utarl.edu (NITEEN
DAMLE) writes:
> I am a novice to the UNIX and I hv a question which u people might be
able
> to answer.
> Last night I was browsing through the directories using ls command
with -l
> option. In dev directory I found letters s, c, b for some of the names
in place
> of d.
> I want to know what these letters stand for.
> Only I know that d means directory.
>                  l   "    link.      [am I correct? ]
> 		 -   "    file.

Yup, l means the file is a symbolic link and - means it is a regular
file.  A b means it is a block special file (to be read and written
in blocks - usually 512 bytes at a chunk) and c means it is a character
special file (to be read and written a character at a time).  These two
are usually applied to devices, like disks and terminals, which is
why you found their entries in /dev.  I don't know what the s stands
for.

You can find more details in the man page for ls, which you can read
with the command "man ls".  Enjoy!

--
Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt

p is pipe.

Try man ls if you don't have bound manuals handy.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers) (11/07/90)

>Yup, l means the file is a symbolic link and - means it is a regular
>file.  A b means it is a block special file (to be read and written
>in blocks - usually 512 bytes at a chunk) and c means it is a character
>special file (to be read and written a character at a time).  These two
>are usually applied to devices, like disks and terminals, which is
>why you found their entries in /dev.  I don't know what the s stands
>for.

It stands for socket.

--
Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road

mr794348%cs.nthu.edu.tw@cunyvm.cuny.edu (mr794348) (05/27/91)

How to sub "UNIX Info" ?
Thank you in advance !!