[comp.unix.questions] syncronizing clocks on workstations

pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) (05/22/91)

Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
many (sun) workstations and servers?
Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
Thanks in advance

--
P. Deshpande -- Citicorp, New York
VMS/UNIX Systems Manager - 212-291-4282

george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) (05/22/91)

pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:

    Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
    many (sun) workstations and servers?
    Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
    the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
    Thanks in advance

Try ntp.  I think you can get the latest via anonymous FTP
from louie.udel.edu in pub/ntp

---George
--
OSU Computer & Inf. Science 2036 Neil Ave.,Columbus,Ohio 43210. 614-292-7325
george@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!osu-cis!george

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.175317.12255@Citicorp.COM> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:

>   Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>   many (sun) workstations and servers?

A simple solution is to add a
	rdate machine
in each machine's crotab file.

have the clients sync off the servers, and all of the servers sync off
one stable server. This works on SUNOS, but on Ultrix machines,
it seems to do an average of machines times.

ntp is also a good solution. You get errors if the times are way out
of date. Using rdate can cause problems if your master has the wrong time.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) (05/23/91)

In <1991May21.201152.9655@cis.ohio-state.edu> george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:

> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:
>
>     Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>     many (sun) workstations and servers?
>     Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
>     the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
>     Thanks in advance

> Try ntp.  I think you can get the latest via anonymous FTP
> from louie.udel.edu in pub/ntp

...or...

rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

--
 \ Bob Smith         \_______________________________
  \ 835 Mammoth Rd.   \ Path: wybbs!wizard!bob

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp> bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
>In <1991May21.201152.9655@cis.ohio-state.edu> george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:
>
>> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:
>>
>>     Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>>     many (sun) workstations and servers?

I wrote a shell script that runs out of cron on one workstation with the
master (by definition..."good") clock and goes out and does a
rsh $system date xxxxxxxx command.  It works pretty well in practice if
you have one "group of systems" with the ability for root to do rsh's
among systems in the group.

let me know if you want a copy. It keeps my 75 systems to about 1 second
either way.

I've used "timed" on Apollos which also worked pretty well, but creates
a measurable (but maybe insignificant) load on the systems.
                         Vince Skahan
 vince@atc.boeing.com                  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince
        	(lifelong Phillies fan...pity me)

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp>, bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
- rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
- of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
- possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

Is rdate publically available?  Where?

Thanks.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

scotts@qsp.COM (Scott Simpers) (05/31/91)

We use timed on our suns and other systems.  It works just fine.  Don't use it
on apollo though...

You can get a copy from uunet.

Scott Simpers
Quality Software Products                    voice: (213)410-0303
5711 W Slauson Avenue  Suite 240             fax: (213)410-0124
Culver City, CA  90230                       ...uunet!qsp!scotts