[comp.unix.questions] security w/ root-id login to a sh-script

ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl) (06/03/91)

In article <28895@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> I writes:
>I accept that an suid-to-root shell script is a Bad Thing, but I am not
>sophisticated enough to know *all* the reasons why.

>Can one avoid the security problems by root-id account which specifies a
>shell-script rather than an interactive shell in its passwd entry?
>I think this prevents the script from inheriting environment variables
>except TERM.

>I have seen such a thing suggested publicly in another newsgroup or
>mailing list and not be rebutted.  But then I wonder if "su restart_XYZ"
>inherits an environment and makes this method dangerous.

It's been kindly pointed out to me that yes, the possibility of an
"su restart_XYZ" does make this method as dangerous as an suid-to-root
shell script.  Thanks to Jeff Beadle (jeff@onion.rain.com) for
explaining this and a reason why such things are dangerous.

Best Regards,
ruck.
--
John R Ruckstuhl, Jr			ruck@alpha.ee.ufl.edu