[comp.unix.questions] A question about finger

jfsenior@unix1.tcd.ie (Semolina Pilchard) (05/31/91)

I was just wondering why it is that when I chmod my .plan to 600, other people
can still read it by fingering me, finger isn't setuid or anything.. and
the source doesn't seem to have any strange stuff in it.

J.
--
J. lives at JFSENIOR@vax1.tcd.ie 'They call it stormy Monday,
                                  but Tuesday's just as bad,

bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ben Cox) (06/01/91)

jfsenior@unix1.tcd.ie (Semolina Pilchard) writes:

>I was just wondering why it is that when I chmod my .plan to 600, other people
>can still read it by fingering me, finger isn't setuid or anything.. and
>the source doesn't seem to have any strange stuff in it.

At our site, others can't finger someone whose .plan is mode 600.  The
reason is that /etc/inetd.conf (on 4.3 systems) determines who fingerd
is run as.  On our system, it's "nobody".  On other systems, it might
be "root".  (On non-4.3 systems, fingerd probably runs all the time,
as root.)

--
Ben Cox
bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

88p8337@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au (Bian Hu) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May31.234051.25754@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu| bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ben Cox) writes:
|jfsenior@unix1.tcd.ie (Semolina Pilchard) writes:
|
|>I was just wondering why it is that when I chmod my .plan to 600, other people
|>can still read it by fingering me, finger isn't setuid or anything.. and
|>the source doesn't seem to have any strange stuff in it.
|
|At our site, others can't finger someone whose .plan is mode 600.  The
|reason is that /etc/inetd.conf (on 4.3 systems) determines who fingerd
|is run as.  On our system, it's "nobody".  On other systems, it might
|be "root".  (On non-4.3 systems, fingerd probably runs all the time,
|as root.)

|--
    I have the same problem as Semolina has. As following Ben's idea,
I looked into the /etc/inetd.conf, but i found it _is_ "nobody" as well.
    If I can't protect me being fingered,is there a way to modify some
items listed by finger such as "home phone", etc.

  -B.H.-

TIA