[comp.unix.questions] Workstation def

cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) (05/31/91)

I would like to get a feel for what netters consider a "workstation."
Since the DOS and Mac's have increased in power with the development of the
'386 and 030's, it would appear that the PC vs. workstation lines are
a bit blurred.

Would a good definition of a workstation include or exclude the PC and
Mac's? Can a workstation be a server or multiuser system and still be
considered a workstation?

Would the following definition adequately fit "workstation"?

A configuration of a high performance, microcomputer-based hardware and
software functional unit providing an integrated desktop service to one or
more users at a time.

Does "workstation" include the IBM 3270 terminals? Are workstations only
single-user systems, although capable of multi-user use?

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May31.143233.25042@linus.mitre.org>, cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:

> I would like to get a feel for what netters consider a "workstation."
> Since the DOS and Mac's have increased in power with the development
> of the '386 and 030's, it would appear that the PC vs. workstation
> lines are a bit blurred.

Quite so.  As far as I can tell, a workstation is anything that's sold
as a workstation.  Nothing more complicated than that.  The technical
differences between a workstation and a personal computer are slight
and getting smaller all the time; the only remaining difference I can
see is that one is sold as a personal machine for $1200 and the other
as a workstation for $5000.

> Would a good definition of a workstation include or exclude the PC
> and Mac's?

Macs - and most "workstation"s - are PC.  A high-end workstation can
support multiple users without bogging down, but the low-end ones sure
can't.

If you really want technical differences...I would say that a
workstation generally has a better display (typically a million pixels
for a low-end workstation, which is high-end as PC displays go), more
I/O bandwidth (though that distinction is going away), and more storage
(both core and disk), typically isn't even offered without some sort of
network interface, and does multitasking out-of-the-box.

Hmmm, that $1200 versus $5000 begins to make sense.

Oh yes, the personal computers are generally better documented, since
the third-party software developers demand it.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

pd@pd@x.co.uk (Paul Davey) (06/05/91)

Cazier> Originator: cazier@mbunix.mitre.org
Cazier> Nntp-Posting-Host: mbunix.mitre.org

Cazier> I would like to get a feel for what netters consider a "workstation."
Cazier> Since the DOS and Mac's have increased in power with the development of the
Cazier> '386 and 030's, it would appear that the PC vs. workstation lines are
Cazier> a bit blurred.

Cazier> Would a good definition of a workstation include or exclude the PC and
Cazier> Mac's? Can a workstation be a server or multiuser system and still be
Cazier> considered a workstation?

Cazier> Would the following definition adequately fit "workstation"?

Cazier> A configuration of a high performance, microcomputer-based hardware and
Cazier> software functional unit providing an integrated desktop service to one or
Cazier> more users at a time.

I belive that the classic workstation definition used to be:
	>= 1 Meg of RAM
	>= 1 Meg of Pixels
	Networking hardware and software

The memory restriction might be considered too little now that 4 or 8
or 16 Mb of RAM is the norm.

I think a large area of screen real estate is an important part of the
concept.

Cazier> Does "workstation" include the IBM 3270 terminals?

IHMO No, smart terminals are smart terminals, I would not class X
terminals as workstations in the computer science sense either.  A
workstation should be able to locally process data in many ways.

IHMO High end PCs and MACs running a mutli-tasking, multi-user
operating system do qualify as workstations, but would require at
least VGA graphics.

Cazier> Are workstations only
Cazier> single-user systems, although capable of multi-user use?

I think a workstation is primarily designed for single user use, but
in a multi-user environment, eg sharing data, resources etc. The
potential for simultaneous multi-user use, whether via ethernet or
serial lines should be supported in the operating system

It needn't be put to its designed use to be a workstation.
--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.