[comp.unix.questions] Looking for software for daily operations work

Marlys.A.Nelson@uwrf.edu (06/02/91)

Does anyone know of any software (free or *very* low cost) that makes daily
operations of a lab of workstations easy?  What I'm looking for are solutions
to problems such as process 123 on machine ABC needs to be killed and a
student employee should be able to do this without root access and preferably
from any workstation on net simply by saying something like "kill 123 on ABC"
- ideal goal is a screen/menu interface.  Kill isn't the only thing I need the
students to be able to do, other things are shutdown, delete print jobs, file
backup and restore, etc.  Students are *not* unix-knowledgeable so *simple* is
important.

I need something like this and before I get too deep into trying to develop
something, I was hoping others would have done something like this - this
can't really be a very unique requirement.  Even if what you're using isn't
very sophisticated, it might be better than what I have rigged up now out of
desperation and it might give me ideas if I have to do something myself.

The computers are Sun 3's running SunOS 4.1.1.  Also, if anybody has any
knowledge of anything that can run across a net to support VAXes running VMS,
I would be very interested in that too.

Thanks.

Marlys A. Nelson			System Manager, Network Manager,
Academic Computing			Programmer, etc., etc.
Univ of Wisconsin - River Falls
River Falls, WI 54022
Internet: Marlys.A.Nelson@uwrf.edu

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (06/06/91)

In article <27087@adm.brl.mil>, Marlys.A.Nelson@uwrf.edu writes:

> [...] What I'm looking for are solutions to problems such as process
> 123 on machine ABC needs to be killed and a student employee should
> be able to do this without root access

Giving this sort of power amounts to giving root access.  Are you
trying to protect against accidents or malice?  The former is
moderately easy, the latter is nigh impossible.

(No, I don't have any solutions for you.  This is not a problem in our
environment.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu