[comp.unix.questions] Terminal Emulation

nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) (06/07/91)

We are faced here with a problem I was hoping someone out in Net land
can help with.  We have several AT&T 6386/33 running AT&T Unix Sys 5.
On the 6386/33 machine we have a scanner and appropriate software to
view the images that are scanned.  What we need to do is to allow
people who log in remotely to be able to view these images as well.

The TERM varaible at the console is set to AT-386 and that works great
for viewing the scanned images.  I am guessing that people who log in
remotely via their PC, need to have a terminal emulator that will
emulate an AT-386.

Does anyone know of PC software that exists that can do this??  Any
help is appreciated!!

Neal Leitner
AT&T Bell Labs

pauld@stowe.cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.114023.8067@cbfsb.att.com> nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) writes:
>We are faced here with a problem I was hoping someone out in Net land
>can help with.  We have several AT&T 6386/33 running AT&T Unix Sys 5.
>On the 6386/33 machine we have a scanner and appropriate software to
>view the images that are scanned.  What we need to do is to allow
>people who log in remotely to be able to view these images as well.
>
>The TERM varaible at the console is set to AT-386 and that works great
>for viewing the scanned images.  I am guessing that people who log in
>remotely via their PC, need to have a terminal emulator that will
>emulate an AT-386.
>
>Does anyone know of PC software that exists that can do this??  Any
>help is appreciated!!

It is rather unlikely that your are viewing images using any of the
facilities that a terminal emulator provides. Such software simply
handles special escape code sequences to allow you to move the cursor
around, turn on/off various video modes etc.

Displaying scanned images is extremely likely to be using actual
hardware features (e.g. VGA, or a frame buffer), and no terminal
emulator will help you with this.

What you need, but probably won't find very easily, is an X window
version of your display software. X acts as a layer between the
hardware and the software, allowing the latter to make generic calls
to do things that are actually implemented in a h/w specific manner.
It also, rather usefully, provides network transparency, so that a
program running on one machine can request display changes on a screen
actually connected to another machine.

With such a version, and a suitable PC X window implementation (there
are a few out there now, but don't ask me about them because I don't
know anything about them), you will be able to provide what you want.
Otherwise, I think you're stuck.

--
Paul Barton-Davis <pauld@cs.washington.edu> UW Computer Science Lab

"People cannot cooperate towards common goals if they are forced to
 compete with each other in order to guarantee their own survival."