[comp.unix.questions] Manual pages located in NON-STANDARD places in Ultrix

rsingh@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) (06/11/91)

My question is about MANPATH under ultrix (on two different
machines).  First the operatings system signatures are:

Ultrix V3.1D (Rev. 54) Worksystem V2.2 System #1:  Tue Sep 11 12:24:47 PDT 1990
and   Ultrix-32 V3.0 (Rev 64) System #2: Tue Oct 10 11:39:51 PDT 1989

The "man man" gives the following syntax:
		man -k keyword...
 	man -f page_title...
		man [-] [-s] [1...8] page_title...

How do I access man pages stored in non-standard places, such
as $HOME/man/man[1-8n]/*  or ~friend/man/man[1-8n]/*  or
/afs/... ?  From the above syntax it is clear that ultrix man
displayer doesn't read the MANPATH environment variable, as
with SunOS, for example?

Locally at Stanford I asked this question three times on
air.unix and twice sent mails to u-ask@air(ASK ULTRIX) but
no satisfactory answers in over three weeks.

Only one consultant pointed out a (seemingly undocumented) swith
-P <dir>.  The trouble is it doesn't take an argument like
-P <dir1>:<dir2>:... like most other path specifications.

Help!! --raj (rsingh@leland.stanford.edu)
--
Rajesh Kumar Singh               E-mail: rsingh@leland.stanford.edu
Gauls!  We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (06/11/91)

If you have 'perl' installed, you might try perl-man.tar.Z via anon
ftp from foobar.colorado.edu. Here's the feature list.

Features include but are not limited to:

    *   almost always faster than standard man (try 'man me')

    *	take much less diskspace for catpages

    *	supports per-tree tmac macros

    *	compressed man and cat files

    *	user-definable man path via $MANPATH or -M optoin

    *  $MANPATH autoconfigged based on $PATH if not set

    *   user-definable section search order via -S or $MANSECT.  Thus
	programmers can get stty(3) before stty(1).

    *	$PAGER support

    *	show all the places you would find a man page (-w option)
	and in what order.

    *   display all available man page on a topic (-a option)

    *   no limits on what subsections go where (if you want to add 7x, ok)

    *   support for multi-char sections like man1m/*.1m or manavs/*.avs

    *   man -K for regexp apropos

    *   grep through all the man pages in $MANPATH

    *   section and subsection indexing for long man pages

    *   support for alternate architectures docs on same machine

    *	ability to run man on a local file

    *	ability to easily troff (or preview) a man page

    *	recognizes embedded filter directives for tbl and eqn

    *	does the right thing for man tree that don't have DBM whatis files

    *   support for connecting online problem reports to right man page

    *   there's an extended usage message (man -U) for further help
	and to show current defaults.

Here are some features of this version of makewhatis:

    *	it's faster.

    *	tries hard to make pretty output, stripping troff directives.

    *   doesn't blow up on more files in a man directory
	than the shell will glob.

    *   accepts troff string macros for the dashes in the
	the NAME section.

    *   prints a diagnostic for a malformed NAME section.

    *   detects linked (hard, soft, or via .so) man pages

    *   finds *all* references in the NAME section.

    *   recognizes MH's man macros (and .Sh from lwall).

    *   many other things that makewhatis used to do wrong

Here are some supporting utilities that are included:

    *   catman -- new version that groks compressed files

    *   catwhatis -- display the whatis databases

    * 	straycats -- find cat pages with no man page ancestor

    *   countman -- find how many man pages you can get at

    *   cfman -- find bad SEE ALSO references in man pages

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (06/11/91)

I'd also like to point out that 'perl-man' isn't my software, I got it
from tom christiansen <tchrist@convex.com>.

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.214332.11539@leland.Stanford.EDU> rsingh@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) writes:
>How do I access man pages stored in non-standard places, such
>as $HOME/man/man[1-8n]/*  or ~friend/man/man[1-8n]/*  or
>/afs/... ?  From the above syntax it is clear that ultrix man
>displayer doesn't read the MANPATH environment variable, as
>with SunOS, for example?

Get a copy of perl (if you don't have it already) and get a copy of
the man written in perl.  We use it here on DECstations and Suns.

man is available via anonymous ftp from convex.com, I believe.  You can
get the perl sources from ftp.uu.net.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

jwe@che.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.230854.23545@colorado.edu>
grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

> If you have 'perl' installed, you might try perl-man.tar.Z via anon
> ftp from foobar.colorado.edu. Here's the feature list.

If not, another alternative is my version of man, apropos, and whatis,
written the old fashioned way :-) in C and sh.

It's available via anonymous ftp from andy.che.utexas.edu
(128.83.162.5) in the directory pub/src/unix.

--
John W. Eaton                       |  If the odds are a million to one
jwe@che.utexas.edu                  |  against something occurring, chances

tridge@anu.oz.au (Andrew Tridgell) (06/11/91)

I have a local man directory /u/local/man[1-8]

I then do this
	cd /usr/man/man1
	ln -s /u/local/man/man1/* ./

and so on. ie. make soft links, can be easily scripted for easy update.

Andrew

Andrew Tridgell                 CSLab, Research School of Physical Science
tridge@aerodec.anu.edu.au       Australian National University

In article <1991Jun10.214332.11539@leland.Stanford.EDU> rsingh@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) writes:

> My question is about MANPATH under ultrix (on two different
> machines).
>
> How do I access man pages stored in non-standard places, such
> as $HOME/man/man[1-8n]/*  or ~friend/man/man[1-8n]/*  or
> /afs/... ?  From the above syntax it is clear that ultrix man
> displayer doesn't read the MANPATH environment variable, as
> with SunOS, for example?
>
> Only one consultant pointed out a (seemingly undocumented) swith
> -P <dir>.  The trouble is it doesn't take an argument like
> -P <dir1>:<dir2>:... like most other path specifications.

The Ultrix man program is quite antiquated.  It will search a limited and
poorly specified set of subdirectories (at least [12345678lno]).  On my system
/usr/man/manl and /usr/man/man are symbolic links to /usr/local/man/manl,
etc, to allow segregating the local manual pages from those distributed
with Ultrix.  Unfortunatly, this means modifying the installtion scripts
of most packages that expect to drop their cruft into the system 1-8 manual
sections.

You could create a csh alias or /local/bin script for man that does
"man -Pwhatever "$*" || man "$*", or install one of the various "man"
replacemnts that have been posted in the source groups.

Also, the versions of the Berkely man command in the Tahoe and Reno sources
are redistributable so you could use/install either of them.  The Tahoe verion
is probably the better, since it more or less compatible with the Sun and
similar versions.  The Reno version is more flexible in some ways, but expects
*all* manual pages to to be preformatted and have a ".0" suffix, which is
incompatible with previous (i.e. Ultrix) notions.

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.214332.11539@leland.Stanford.EDU> rsingh@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) writes:

>My question is about MANPATH under ultrix (on two different
>machines).

MANPATH doesn't work on the man included with ULTRIX.  It's easy to take
the 4.3BSD man command and hack it up to work with ULTRIX (so that it supports
multiple character extensions, etc.) if you have access to the 4.3 source.
I did and I replace DEC's man as one of my first tasks after upgrading ULTRIX.

There are also a number of free man implementations that are available.
Tom Christiansen wrote one in perl that is available via anonymous FTP
from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in the pub/perl/scripts/tchrist directory.  John
Eaton at U of Texas also wrote one that is available from andy.che.utexas.edu
in the pub/src/unix directory.  There are others out there but I can't remem-
ber where they are.

Are you listening, DEC?

--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

"Answer that, it may be the phone." -- Anthony Wachs, TONY IN RH20 LAND