[comp.unix.questions] Where is login location info kept?

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) (06/09/91)

On BSD Unix, finger will report where someone is logged in from:

Login    Name        TTY Idle    When     Where
me     John Smith     p1        Sat 12:34  snoopy
					   ^^^^^^^
                 Where does it get this information?

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (06/12/91)

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) writes:

>On BSD Unix, finger will report where someone is logged in from:

>Login    Name        TTY Idle    When     Where
>me     John Smith     p1        Sat 12:34  snoopy
>					   ^^^^^^^
>                 Where does it get this information?

	I believe that this info is kept in a couple of system files,
"utmp" and "wtmp".  Try doing a man on them.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon@cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>