[comp.unix.questions] tar options/function designators

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/13/91)

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
>zcat file.tar.Z | tar -xvf -
		       ^

Maybe a silly question, but what are the net-opinion on using '-' when
specifying tar functions? Personally I don't do it, as the function letters
aren't optional [sic].

--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.174240.8590@gorm.ruc.dk>, jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
> rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
>> zcat file.tar.Z | tar -xvf -
> Maybe a silly question, but what are the net-opinion on using '-'
> when specifying tar functions?  Personally I don't do it, as the
> function letters aren't optional [sic].

Speaking for myself, I can't see that it makes much difference; any tar
that spends much time dropping the stray - should be replaced with any
of the good free tars available.

I don't use the extra -, for what that's worth.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu