[comp.unix.questions] tar

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/09/89)

Is there a way that a program could look at a file produced by tar and
determine what blocking factor was used?  I occasionally get tapes, disks,
etc from folks who either forget to specify what they used or who 'use
the default' which apparently isnt the default on any systems that I use.
Then i get checksum errors, etc. attempting to untar the file.

Why doesnt tar have the blocking info in it so that someone extracting the
files doesnt even CARE what blocking factor was used to create it - it
could just use that info if present, otherwise use whatever is specified
on the comand line or as its default...

Does cpio, afio, pdtar, etc. all have this 'feature'?  I assume that
it must be because of tradition and NOT because of some nifty benefit
that one must know what blocking was used at creation to be able to get
files from a tar file...

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (01/11/89)

In article <752@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>Is there a way that a program could look at a file produced by tar and
>determine what blocking factor was used?

Sure ...

dd if=/dev/{put_your_tape_device_here} bs=20b count=1 |wc -c

ie: use blocks as big as you can (I never met a device driver that could
handle bigger than 20b), read one block, then see how many characters
were in it.

Divide the number by 512 to get the blocking factor

+---------------------------------+-----------------+
| Andrew Beattie                  | Sphinx Limited  |
| Internal Systems Engineer       | Foundation Park |
| mcvax!ukc!reading!riddle!andrew | Maidenhead      |
| andrew@sphinx.co.uk             | England         |
| +44 62882 2266                  | SL6 3UD         |
+---------------------------------+-----------------+

dave@bvax.UUCP (Dave Wallace) (01/12/89)

Is there a simple explaination of the format of file that
tar creates? (Assuming you tar to a file,not tape)

Thanx in advance.
Dave Wallace
Bell Canada ( on week days )
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

uunet!attcan!utzoo!censor!bvax!dave

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/13/89)

In article <965@riddle.UUCP> andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) writes:
>... I never met a device driver that could handle bigger than 20b

20b (in dd terms) is a mere 10240 bytes.  Certainly any decent tape drive
should not mind 32 kB at 6250 bpi.  (Beyond 10k at 1600 and 32k at 6250,
conventional 9 track tapes become overly susceptible to errors.)  Modern
cartridge tape drives (QIC and 8mm) handle large (>1MB) records without
trouble, although they actually split them into smaller blocks (typically
1024 B).

pss@unh.UUCP (Paul S. Sawyer) (01/17/89)

In article <15447@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

> 20b (in dd terms) is a mere 10240 bytes.  Certainly any decent tape drive
> should not mind 32 kB at 6250 bpi.  (Beyond 10k at 1600 and 32k at 6250,
> conventional 9 track tapes become overly susceptible to errors.)

My drive is limited to 8k at 1600 bpi only.  (Is it indecent?  B-)

--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/18/89)

In article <877@unh.UUCP> pss@unh.UUCP (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:
>My drive is limited to 8k at 1600 bpi only.  (Is it indecent?  B-)

1600bpi is the most universal density these days.

I've heard of several magtape systems that wouldn't support more
than 8K (or maybe even 5K) byte records.  I recall the ANSI standard
doesn't require support for more than something like 2K bytes, but
5K bytes seems to work on nearly all systems encountered these days.

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (03/08/90)

A question about tar; Is it possible to un-tar to a file systems
other than the the one that was tar-ed from?  Situation:
I need to re-divvy may st4096, when I first set up xenix, I put
about 67000 or so blocks on the root system and 70000 or so on
the /u system, now I have acquired a fair amount of software that
resides on the root (integra, word, the development system, sco professional,
etc...) I am thinking of removing the /u all together and just having
a root system so that I will be less likely to run short of space next
time I install an update or something.

hautala@odin.m2c.org (11/02/90)

I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
bunch of garbage!!!

what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
tar file in my directory????

thanx in advance

bad@atrain.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) (11/02/90)

In article <6187@m2c.M2C.ORG> hautala@odin.m2c.org () writes:

>I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
>this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
>bunch of garbage!!!
>
>what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
>tar file in my directory????
>
>thanx in advance

I've seen this when someone was trying to tar a compressed file.  Later
they said something like, "Ohhhh, that's what that ".Z" meant!!"

By the way, tar xvf <filename> should work; you might need to specify
the blocking factor.

Bruce

--
Bruce Dumes			|  "You don't see many of *these* nowdays, |
bad@zen.cac.stratus.com		|   do you?"				   |

In article <6187@m2c.M2C.ORG> hautala@odin.m2c.org () writes:

> I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
> this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
> bunch of garbage!!!
>
> what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
> tar file in my directory????

It is quite possible the tar tape was created with an non-default blocksize.
Try something like tar xb 40 and see if that helps.  You can also use dd to
determine the blocksize by doing "dd if=/dev/rmt?? of=diskfile bs=127b count=1"
and then ls -l to check the size of the file...

wnkim@violet.berkeley.edu (Satan Zoomba) (05/27/91)

Can someone clue me in here.  I'm trying to extract this tar file, but when
I try and invoke the tar command via..

tar -x <filename>

I get this message..

tar: cannot open /dev/rmt8

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just not have access to this particular
command?  And is there anyway to resolve this impious situation?

Rolla molla...

gilette@trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette) (06/10/91)

  I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
What shall i do ?

gilette@trinidad.inria.fr | University of Nice, Cote d'azur, France
  He had brought a large map representing the sea, without the least
vestige of land :  And the crew were much pleased when they found
it to be a  map they could all understand.    Lewis Carroll

itan@IASTATE.EDU (Tanumihardjo Idarto) (06/10/91)

In article <11711@mirsa.inria.fr>, gilette@trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette)
writes:

>   I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
> for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
> but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
> and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
> such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
> What shall i do ?

   I think you have to use program named "uncompress" first before you
can use the "tar" command.

   file.tar.Z  --> original ftp files downloaded
   uncompress file.tar.Z --> produce file named file.tar
   tar -xf file.tar --> will extract these files to your current dir.

Idarto Tan                                  internet: itan@iastate.edu
Engineering Computing Support Services
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50010

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (06/10/91)

Serge>   I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
Serge> for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
Serge> but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
Serge> and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
Serge> such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
Serge> What shall i do ?

Serge> gilette@trinidad.inria.fr | University of Nice, Cote d'azur, France

	Try this:

% tar xfv filename.tar

	That should do it.

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

lee@nic.gac.edu (Nathan Lee) (06/10/91)

gilette@trinidad.inria.fr writes:

>    I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
>  for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
>  and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
>  such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
>  What shall i do ?

It seems to me that the ".Z" extension on your filename is the key to the
problem you are having.

You first need to "uncompress file.tar.Z", which will then uncompress the file
and change the name to "file.tar", on which you should then be able to use "tar
-xf file.tar".

Nathan
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Nathan Lee                  ||                                             |
| Gustavus Adolphus College   ||   "Sit with a pretty girl for an hour       |
| St. Peter, MN  56082        ||      and it feels like a minute.            |
|			      ||    Sit on a hot stove for a minute          |
| (507) 933-8383              ||      and it feels like an hour.             |
|                             ||                                             |
|                             ||         *That's* relativity."               |
|     BitNet: LEE@GACVAX1     ||      InterNet: lee@gacvx1.gac.edu           |
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

jpm@logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens) (06/10/91)

gilette@trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette) writes:

>  I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
>for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
>but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
>and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
>such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
>What shall i do ?

	Try either
		$ zcat file.tar.Z | tar xvf -
	or
		$ uncompress file.tar.Z
		$ tar xvf file.tar

Bonne chance!
--
Jan-Piet Mens, Logix GmbH				    jpm@logixwi.UUCP
Moritzstr. 50, D-6200 Wiesbaden            ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!logixwi!jpm

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (06/10/91)

[...sorry, I was brain dead earlier today...]

Serge>   I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
Serge> for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
Serge> but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
Serge> and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
Serge> such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
Serge> What shall i do ?

Serge> gilette@trinidad.inria.fr | University of Nice, Cote d'azur, France

ME!> 	Try this:

ME!> % tar xfv filename.tar

ME!> 	That should do it.

	NO, that SHOULD NOT do it...

	Try this:

% uncompress file.tar.Z
% tar -xvf file.tar

	or have an alias such as:

alias ux        'uncompress -c \!:1 | tar xvf - \!:2*'

	in your .alias file.  (or other startup file like .login)
	(The alias is for csh or tcsh)

	Sorry for posting such an idiot message.  I will be punished!!!

jc

--

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (06/12/91)

In article <11711@mirsa.inria.fr> gilette@trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette) writes:

>  I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
>for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
>but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
>and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
>such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
>What shall i do ?

Do this:

zcat file.tar.Z | tar -xvf -

--
Rey V. Paulo                  | Internet:  rvp@csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra        | I am not bound to please thee with my answer.

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) (06/12/91)

In article <JC.91Jun10105727@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>	Try this:
>
>% tar xfv filename.tar

Careful James, you missed the .Z extension of the file. Hey folks, how
about followups directly to the user, and let him/her post the
synopsis. Wastes a heck of a lot less bandwidth.

Comments?  Ace
--
    Ace Stewart | Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, New York
jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu jstewart@sunrise.bitnet jstewart@mothra.cns.syr.edu

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.140723.22110@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) writes:
>In article <JC.91Jun10105727@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>Careful James, you missed the .Z extension of the file. Hey folks, how
>about followups directly to the user, and let him/her post the
>synopsis. Wastes a heck of a lot less bandwidth.
>
>Comments?  Ace
This is just the type of comments which generates lots of bandwidth!

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems