[comp.unix.questions] NROFF output mysteries -- HELP WANTED

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/15/91)

In article <17025@darkstar.ucsc.edu> de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) writes:
>instances of ESC 9 -- a control sequence which doesn't
>ring any bells for me!

Bell is Ctrl-G; ESC 9 is a half-line motion.
If you don't know what to do with them, use "col" to handle them.

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/16/91)

In article <17025@darkstar.ucsc.edu> de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) writes:
|Periodically we will snarf some nifty PD software off
|an anon ftp host somewhere.  Most recently we got MH.
|I notice with the documentatin for MH, and I have
|noticed in the past for some docs from CERT, that it
|is nearly impossible to print them readably.

|These docs are formatted with nroff (ugh) and lots of
|clever macros.  The mystery is that they contain many
|instances of ESC 9 -- a control sequence which doesn't
|ring any bells for me!  This sequence is invisible on
|normal terminals, but all my printers print it in one
|form or another.  Ugly.

The ESC 9's etc. are reverse line feeds on TTY37's or some
such.  Pipe the output of nroff thru col before printing
it.

eg:
	nroff <arguments> | col | lpr
--