[comp.unix.questions] compress

plampani@dpls (Patrick Lampani) (06/16/91)

This is probably a really basic question.... but I can't find the answer and
I'm still really new to UNIX.

I just downloaded a bunch of compressed files. Most of these files are like :

		TeX3.0.tar.Zaa
		TeX3.0.tar.Zab
		TeX3.0.tar.Zac
			.
			.
			.
		TeX3.0.tar.Zaz

How do I uncompress these files, with out having to rename them,then uncompress
them and then un tarring them? Is their some other program I'm supposed to use?

Thank in advance.

-Patrick Lampani

paul@music.sie.arizona.edu (Paul J. Sanchez) (06/16/91)

sorry to waste bandwidth, but i tried e-mail and my mailer couldn't
figure out where you are.

from your description, it looks as though the files were split by the
"split" command.  they should be "cat"ed back together before
uncompressing and untarring.  if you want to see the contents without
actually physically joining them, you can pipe a series of commands to
achieve your objective.  try

cat TeX3.0.tar.Z* | zcat | tar tvf -

to see a listing of the distribution.  to actually unpack, do exactly
the same pipeline but substitute "xvf" for "tvf".  don't forget that
dash at the end...

good luck, let me know if you have problems.
--paul
paul@music.sie.arizona.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.122519.1209@doug.cae.wisc.edu> plampani@dpls (Patrick Lampani) writes:
>I just downloaded a bunch of compressed files. Most of these files are like :
>		TeX3.0.tar.Zaa
>		..
>		TeX3.0.tar.Zaz
>How do I uncompress these files, with out having to rename them,then uncompress
>them and then un tarring them? Is their some other program I'm supposed to use?

From the file names I'd guess that this is a batch of files produced by
applying the "split" utility to TeX3.0.tar.Z.  Before uncompressing, you
would have to unsplit the large file.  E.g.:
	$ cat TeX3.0.tar.Z?? | uncompress | tar xvf -