[comp.unix.questions] Can value of environmental var appear in prompt?

creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) (06/18/91)

How can one make the value of an environmental variable appear in a
C-shell prompt? While using screen, I often become confused as to which
window I'm in. Screen maintains an environmental variable WINDOW giving
the number of the current window. Can this value be put into a prompt?

Thanks,

Chet Creider
creider@csd.uwo.ca

skeeve@hpb.cis.pitt.edu (John Huffman) (06/18/91)

In article <3406@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
>How can one make the value of an environmental variable appear in a
>C-shell prompt? While using screen, I often become confused as to which
>window I'm in. Screen maintains an environmental variable WINDOW giving
>the number of the current window. Can this value be put into a prompt?

Sure easy enough:

	set prompt=$WINDOW"->"

Of course you'll probably want to add more to the prompt, but that's the idea.

					       	- John Huffman

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/19/91)

In article <3406@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@csd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
>How can one make the value of an environmental variable appear in a
>C-shell prompt? While using screen, I often become confused as to which
>window I'm in. Screen maintains an environmental variable WINDOW giving
>the number of the current window. Can this value be put into a prompt?

set prompt=`echo $WINDOW`

But why would you want to do this? It looks *ugly* :-)

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems