[comp.unix.questions] Unix <-> NOS

quang@CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) (06/15/91)

Is there any way to transfer files between a machine running UNIX and a machine
running NOS?  I've been using the method of going through my PC.

Thanks,
-Quang (quang@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU)

suhre@ondine.dsd.trw.com (Maurice E. Suhre) (06/15/91)

In article <9106142022.AA23623@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU> quang@CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) writes:

>Is there any way to transfer files between a machine running UNIX and a machine
>running NOS?  I've been using the method of going through my PC.
>
>Thanks,
>-Quang (quang@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU)

Yes, if you have FTP on the two machines.  My NOS systems person advises
me that FTP for NOS is a separately priced product and may not have been
ordered for your machine.

--
Maurice Suhre
suhre@trwrb.dsd.trw.com

tom@itc.univie.ac.at (Tom Kovar) (06/18/91)

In article <9106142022.AA23623@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU> quang@CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) writes:

>Is there any way to transfer files between a machine running UNIX and a machine
>running NOS?  I've been using the method of going through my PC.
>
>Thanks,
>-Quang (quang@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU)

  As far as I know, there is a (a little obscure, but nevertheless) usable
kermit for NOS. I myself used it some time ago do this kind of transfer...

  As against FTP, I think it is not a specially priced product.
								Tom

woolsey@mri.uucp (Jeff Woolsey) (06/21/91)

I'll assume you mean Control Data NOS running on Cybers.
If your Unix machine has a 9-track tape drive, you can transfer files
with that.  If you have control over writing the tape on the NOS side,
use some sort of blocking utility (every site does it differently) to
make things easy on yourself (or dd(1)) on the Unix side.  If you can't
control how the tapes are written, it's still possible, but a lot more
work (we'll talk).

Jeff Woolsey	Microtec Research, Inc.		800 950 5554
amdcad!mri!woolsey@amd.COM		     +1 408 980 1300
90% of my mail more than 3 hops away vanishes.  Tell me why.