[comp.unix.questions] find giving bad status?

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (06/21/91)

For the past few months, whenever I do a 'find', I get a whole bunch of
lines like the following:

find: bad status-- /usr/preserve
find: bad status-- /usr/pub
find: bad status-- /usr/spool
find: bad status-- /usr/ucb

It doesn't seem to make any difference what the 'find' is doing.  Any guesses
as to what's causing this?
(Configuration:  NCR Tower/450 running SVR2)
Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)

darrell@eeocdt.UUCP (Darrell Tschakert) (06/23/91)

In article <2029@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
>For the past few months, whenever I do a 'find', I get a whole bunch of
>lines like the following:

Please give us a bit more information. How were you using the find
command? What options? What directory were you sitting in.
Do the following examples  give you errors:
	find / -print
	find . -print
	find / -name prof -print
Are their any examples of find usage that never cause errors messages to
be generated? Are their any examples that always cause problems?

Good luck.

Darrell		uunet!eeocdt!darrell

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/23/91)

In article <188@eeocdt.UUCP> darrell@eeocdt.UUCP (DArrell Tschakert) writes:
-In article <2029@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
->For the past few months, whenever I do a 'find', I get a whole bunch of
->lines like the following:
-Please give us a bit more information. How were you using the find
-command? What options? What directory were you sitting in.
-Do the following examples  give you errors:
-	find / -print
-	find . -print
-	find / -name prof -print
-Are their any examples of find usage that never cause errors messages to
-be generated? Are their any examples that always cause problems?

Oh, good grief!  What is the point of your suggestions, other than to
show that you aren't qualified to be answering the query at all?

No additional information is needed to answer tssi!nolan's query:

"find: bad status" messages simply mean that a stat() of the file failed.
The usual cause of this is a symbolic link whose target does not exist.

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (06/23/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>In article <188@eeocdt.UUCP> darrell@eeocdt.UUCP (DArrell Tschakert) writes:
>-In article <2029@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
>->For the past few months, whenever I do a 'find', I get a whole bunch of
>->lines like the following:
>-Please give us a bit more information. How were you using the find
>-command? What options? What directory were you sitting in.
>-Do the following examples  give you errors:
>-	find / -print
>-	find . -print
>-	find / -name prof -print
>-Are their any examples of find usage that never cause errors messages to
>-be generated? Are their any examples that always cause problems?

>Oh, good grief!  What is the point of your suggestions, other than to
>show that you aren't qualified to be answering the query at all?

>No additional information is needed to answer tssi!nolan's query:

>"find: bad status" messages simply mean that a stat() of the file failed.
>The usual cause of this is a symbolic link whose target does not exist.

Hey, chill out!  I didn't think the question was all that unreasonable,
myself, although I did think I had already answered it.  (It happens with
*every* find, regardless of who runs it or where it starts, etc.)

The problem shows up on directories/files I haven't changed in years, some
I've never consciously used, and some fairly recent ones.  It *is* consistent
in that the same messages always appear.  I'm not using symbolic links,
so I don't think that's the problem.  My local guru says he's seen something
like this before, and it was something rather weird that caused it.  However,
he's forgotten just what it was.  fsck isn't reporting anything out of the
ordinary.
-------
Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu             T*His_iS#MY%.SIg oN DrUGs!@%#@%
UUCP:      tssi!nolan                       Any questions?

geoff@ugc.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (06/23/91)

In article <16507@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>"find: bad status" messages simply mean that a stat() of the file failed.
>The usual cause of this is a symbolic link whose target does not exist.

	Ther is also a bug or feature in find that causes

find . -depth -print

To give bad status messages. We pulled apart the source one day
and found that find was walking the  directory tree and stating
against ./<directory . It's been a couple of years now so I forget
the exact fix in the code.

NOTE: This was on a 3B21000-70 running System V 3.2

Geoff Coleman