[comp.unix.questions] SHELL ARCHIVER recommendation soclicited

luj@gus17.ecn.purdue.edu (Jun Lu) (06/25/91)

There are quite a few free versions/flavors of shell archivers floating
around. Which one do you use ? Which do you recommend ? Comparisons of
efficiecy(small, fast) v.s. portability are welcomed ?  Any other facts are
also appreciated. If there is sufficient interest, I'll post a summary.

Follow-ups to comp.unix.questions.  If there is sufficient interest, I'll
post a summary on those e-mail responses(If you have objection to posting
any part of your e-mail to the world, please indicate in your mail.
Otherwise I may include part or whole of your reponses to the world if
a summary is requested).

Thanks very much for your time and help.
-- Jun
--
-- Jun Lu                          Internet:luj@ecn.purdue.edu          --
-- Aeronautics & Astronautics      Bitnet:  luj%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm  --

byron@archone.tamu.edu (Byron Rakitzis) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.055549.26282@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> luj@gus17.ecn.purdue.edu (Jun Lu) writes:
>There are quite a few free versions/flavors of shell archivers floating
>around. Which one do you use ? Which do you recommend ? Comparisons of
>efficiecy(small, fast) v.s. portability are welcomed ?  Any other facts are
>also appreciated. If there is sufficient interest, I'll post a summary.

This archiver has never failed me:

(btw, it was originally written in sh, then translated into rc. It is based
on the bundle(s) described in K&P)

#!/bin/rc
# bundle: group files into distribution package

echo '#' to unbundle, sh this file
echo '#' bundled by `whoami on `hostname at `date

echo '#' contents of bundle:
for (i)
	echo '#' $i

for (i) {
	echo echo $i
	echo 'sed ''s/^-//'' > '$i' <<''end of '$i''''
	sed 's/^/-/' $i
	echo end of $i
}
--