[comp.unix.questions] /dev/[pt]ty0 special on sun3?

thomas@nexus.se (06/25/91)

I have a strange phenomenon on a sun3/280 running sunos 4.1.1.
The problem is that whenever i telnet into it and get pty0 I wont get any
echo. Has anyone encountered this and/or know the fix?
We have a sparc SLC that runs the same version of sunos that doesn't have this
problem.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
--
Real life:      Thomas Tornblom             Email:  t_tornblom@nexus.se
Snail mail:     Communicator Nexus          Phone:  +46 18 171814

mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) (06/25/91)

In <THOMAS.91Jun24222424@mozart.nexus.se> thomas@nexus.se writes:

>I have a strange phenomenon on a sun3/280 running sunos 4.1.1.
>The problem is that whenever i telnet into it and get pty0 I wont get any
>echo. Has anyone encountered this and/or know the fix?

Yes, I've seen this many times on a 4/370 under 4.1.1.  There is likely
a background process running that is still attached to /dev/ttyp0.  The
fix is to kill the process and make sure that subsequent background
processes are detached from the tty.
--
-Gary Mills-         -Networking Group-          -U of M Computer Services-

thomas@nexus.se (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.024714.19439@ccu.umanitoba.ca> mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) writes:

   >I have a strange phenomenon on a sun3/280 running sunos 4.1.1.
   >The problem is that whenever i telnet into it and get pty0 I wont get any
   >echo. Has anyone encountered this and/or know the fix?

   Yes, I've seen this many times on a 4/370 under 4.1.1.  There is likely
   a background process running that is still attached to /dev/ttyp0.  The
   fix is to kill the process and make sure that subsequent background
   processes are detached from the tty.

Using fuser I can't see any process accessing the pty.
Still no echo...

Thomas