[comp.unix.questions] nroff question

admn@quads.uchicago.edu (Bonnie J. Black) (06/26/91)

	I am running an acereport in Informix and piping it through
nroff to produce a letter.  At one point I want to underline only two
words of a line of text and I am having difficulty.  I have tried it
several different ways and have gotten various output, none of it quite
right.  In some cases, the two words are underlined and then the rest of
the line just drops out.  In another case, the desired words are underlined
and the rest of the line goes to a new line.  And there is also there case
in which the two words are underlined and the rest of the line is underlined
even though I don't want it to be.  Can anyone out there help me?

Bonnie

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.161342.13589@midway.uchicago.edu> admn@quads.uchicago.edu (Bonnie J. Black) writes:
>nroff to produce a letter.  At one point I want to underline only two
>words of a line of text and I am having difficulty.

For nroff, the simplest way to get underlining is to switch to italic font:
	For ex\fIam\fPle.

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.161342.13589@midway.uchicago.edu> admn@quads.uchicago.edu (Bonnie J. Black) writes:

 |	I am running an acereport in Informix and piping it through
 |nroff to produce a letter.  At one point I want to underline only two
 |words of a line of text and I am having difficulty.  I have tried it
 |several different ways and have gotten various output, none of it quite
 |right.  In some cases, the two words are underlined and then the rest of
 |the line just drops out.  In another case, the desired words are underlined
 |and the rest of the line goes to a new line.  And there is also there case
 |in which the two words are underlined and the rest of the line is underlined
 |even though I don't want it to be.  Can anyone out there help me?

	Try this in your nroff file:

	[whatever else is needed to get started]
	.de UL
	..                       <=== Note this IS required to end the de

	[asundary text and commands]

	Now is the
	.UL time
	for all good
	.UL men to come
	to the aide of their country.

	You should get the word "time" underlined as well as the three words
"men to come".