[comp.unix.questions] UUCP - UUXQT question

root@dogear.spk.wa.us (Bob Kirkpatrick) (06/19/91)

A friend of mine asked if I would post a query for him.

He just bought Coherent, which (I guess) is running HDB UUCP. My system is
running standard UUCP. While all goes fine with mail sent to his Coherent
system is fine, news is sent to the bitbucket. The errormessage in his logs
say No permission for Rnews. His system created a directory for my system
with my systems name, but it also created another directory with my system
name in truncated form. So he has a directory called dogear, and one called
doge. (Weird).

While he has dogear in the permissions file, UUXQT tries to unbatch as doge
instead of dogear. Thus, Coherent's XQT doesn't recognize the name, and when
permission is failed, Coherent then *deletes* the contents of the directory.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass on?

Thanks!
--
Bob Kirkpatrick (root@dogear.spk.wa.us)
Dog Ear'd Systems of Spokane, WA 99202.

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/26/91)

In article <430@dogear.spk.wa.us> root@dogear.spk.wa.us (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>He just bought Coherent, which (I guess) is running HDB UUCP.

Does Coherent's version of UUCP have a "Permissions" file?  If so, it
sounds like a HDB, and the:

>The errormessage in his logs say No permission for Rnews.

implies that "rnews" hasn't been mentioned in the Permissions file.
(In HDB, you have to explicitly enable permission to remotely execute
commands.  Except for rmail (which is what e-mail uses) which is the
default.  If you put rnews in, you'll have to mention rmail as well.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/29/91)

In article <430@dogear.spk.wa.us> root@dogear.spk.wa.us (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>A friend of mine asked if I would post a query for him.
>
>He just bought Coherent, which (I guess) is running HDB UUCP. My system is
>running standard UUCP. While all goes fine with mail sent to his Coherent
>system is fine, news is sent to the bitbucket. The errormessage in his logs
>say No permission for Rnews. His system created a directory for my system
>with my systems name, but it also created another directory with my system
>name in truncated form. So he has a directory called dogear, and one called
>doge. (Weird).

1. Coherent does not run HDB UUCP.  It is an older version.

2. Coherent will not except sitenames greater than seven characters.

3. What are the permissions on rnews and who is the owner?

>While he has dogear in the permissions file, UUXQT tries to unbatch as doge
>instead of dogear. Thus, Coherent's XQT doesn't recognize the name, and when
>permission is failed, Coherent then *deletes* the contents of the directory.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass on?

Have him delete the doge directory.

>Thanks!
>--
>Bob Kirkpatrick (root@dogear.spk.wa.us)
>Dog Ear'd Systems of Spokane, WA 99202.

Let's move this to email. Write to me at one of the addresses at the end of
this article.  I am running Coherent and Cnews here without any problems.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

In article <2229@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <430@dogear.spk.wa.us> root@dogear.spk.wa.us (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>>He just bought Coherent, which (I guess) is running HDB UUCP.
>
>Does Coherent's version of UUCP have a "Permissions" file?  If so, it
>sounds like a HDB, and the:

Coherent does have a "Permissions" file.

>>The errormessage in his logs say No permission for Rnews.
>
>implies that "rnews" hasn't been mentioned in the Permissions file.
>(In HDB, you have to explicitly enable permission to remotely execute
>commands.  Except for rmail (which is what e-mail uses) which is the
>default.  If you put rnews in, you'll have to mention rmail as well.

There is a "COMMMAND=" in the "Permissions" file.

One of his problems is the system name of the calling system.

Coherent only accepts up to seven characters for a system name.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP