[comp.sources.d] VC

In article <455@sii.UUCP>, drd@sii.UUCP (David Dick) writes:
> This morning I saw the posting that Bob Bond made of a
> public domain spread sheet calculator in net.sources.  Based
> on Mark Weiser's previous version, he called the program "vc".
>
> 'vc' is a registered trademark of Software Innovations, Inc. for
> our UNIX(R) spreadsheet.  We've been selling our spreadsheet
> under that name for 5 years now.  ...

	Ahem.  How can you register ``vc'' as a trademark for use in the
UNIX (tm) environment when the command vc(1) - version control clearly
predates your spreadsheet program?
	I'm also surprised that the poster of the program didn't know about
the conflict with vc(1) unless, of course, he didn't have it on his system;
however, two UNIX versions that I work with (UniSoft Uniplus+ and NCR Tower)
have the command, and I have seen it on other systems.
	In any event, I liked the description of the program, compiled it
with no hitch under Sys V, renamed it vcs(1), and am going to test it this
week.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus J Ranum) (01/13/87)

> In article <455@sii.UUCP>, drd@sii.UUCP (David Dick) writes:
> > 'vc' is a registered trademark of Software Innovations, Inc. for
> > our UNIX(R) spreadsheet.

	Gee, you *CAN'T* be using the letter 'c' in 'vc' !!  That letter
was copyrighted a long time ago, and  'c' has been in use ever since.
For that matter, 'v' is probably a registered trademark of someone or
other. Be real !
	Maybe you're going to sue anyone who uses parts of the alphabet ?
--
"It is better to shred the bugger than to bugger the shredder."
					-ancient doltic proverb.

yost@bty.UUCP (01/14/87)

> 	Ahem.  How can you register ``vc'' as a trademark for use in the
> UNIX (tm) environment when the command vc(1) - version control clearly
> predates your spreadsheet program?

I must have missed something -- when were the names of all the UNIX
commands trademarked?  :-)

Brian Yost
bellcore!motown!bty!yost

pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) (01/14/87)

In article <1532@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	Ahem.  How can you register ``vc'' as a trademark for use in the
>UNIX (tm) environment when the command vc(1) - version control clearly
>predates your spreadsheet program?

The 3 pages for "vc(1) - version control" in my (BTL) UNIX User's
Manual for Release 3.0 dated June, 1980 show it as obsolescent;
the same 3 pages in my (AT&T) UNIX User's Manual for SVR2.0 dated
April, 1984 show it as standard.  I'm just curious (I don't want
to start something that belongs in misc.legal): is the spreadsheet
"vc" *registered* or simply a trademark?  If it's registered, is
that simply because AT&T did not choose to pursue it?

Pat Sullivan - {akgua|ihnp4}!sortac!pls - voice 404-257-7382
disclaimer: opinions are my own, etc., etc., etc.

VC is actually the trademark of a well known Southeastern Asia militia;
this predates both of the above.

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (01/14/87)

In article <452@gouldsd.UUCP>, mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus J Ranum) writes:
> > In article <455@sii.UUCP>, drd@sii.UUCP (David Dick) writes:
> > > 'vc' is a registered trademark of Software Innovations, Inc. for
> > > our UNIX(R) spreadsheet.
>
> 	Gee, you *CAN'T* be using the letter 'c' in 'vc' !!  That letter
> was copyrighted a long time ago, and  'c' has been in use ever since.
> For that matter, 'v' is probably a registered trademark of someone or
> other. Be real !
> 	Maybe you're going to sue anyone who uses parts of the alphabet ?

I have a slightly more moderate view than you do.  I think that
there is a place for trademarks and they should be respected but
I also think that the rights of all trademarks should be
enforced.  Neither do I think that all trademarks are
enforceable.  I recently read in PC Week Magazine about a court
case where Computer Land tried to sue Business Land because of
the "Land" in their name.  Business Land has a similar name and
offers the same type of service as Computer Land and it was
claimed that there could be confusion on the part of potential
clients resulting in loss of business for Computer Land.

As I hope you know, laws are often decided case by case,
according to what seems appropriate at the moment, given the
current circumstances.  A given situation could be decided
differently at different times.  Well this judge saw this as
ridiculous.  He also had a sense of humor.  He threw the case
out, saying something like "What!?  Next are you going to sue
Disneyland?!"

So "vc" may be a hard trademark to defend because it is short and
so directly describes the programs purpose which is not a
creation by the authors of the "vc" program.  If it is
registered, however, I might keep away from it.  Their law suit,
though improbable, could win, depending on the sense of humor
(and other things) of those involved.
--
Tom Reingold;  The Rockefeller University; 1230 York Av; NY 10021
PHONE: (212) 570-7709 [office]; (212) 304-2504 [home]

bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) (01/14/87)

in article <1532@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) says:

> 	Ahem.  How can you register ``vc'' as a trademark for use in the
> UNIX (tm) environment when the command vc(1) - version control clearly
> predates your spreadsheet program?

I wondered about this too.  I generally check for the name before I build
something, which is how I found that "vc" already existed, so I built the
thing as "vcalc".  BUT, I notice that vc is /usr/ucb/vc - it probably
DOESN'T conflict on SYS V systems.  I still would have thought they'd
have checked before marketing it.
--

Bob McQueer
{amdahl, sun, mtxinu, hoptoad, cpsc6a}!rtech!bobm

sl@van-bc.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <1532@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <455@sii.UUCP>, drd@sii.UUCP (David Dick) writes:
>> This morning I saw the posting that Bob Bond made of a
>> public domain spread sheet calculator in net.sources.  Based
>> on Mark Weiser's previous version, he called the program "vc".

What posting? We are still receiving net.sources, but I've never seen
the article referred to. Our local backbone ubc-vision also denies any
knowledge of same.

Can we at least get some info on what we are missing? A description of
article and mail address/route of author would be appreciated. I've been
keeping my eye open for a spread sheet program, I would hate to miss it
because our end of the net didn't get it.

Are there any other remote corners of the net that didn't get it?

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532
Todays feature: The Problem of the Green Capsule, John Dickson Carr, 1939

det@herman.UUCP (Derek Terveer) (01/15/87)

We picked up vc as well, and I renamed it Vc to cover the conflict, for we too
have vc(1) on our system; a System Vr2.0.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/18/87)

One amusing thing about all this is that when James Gosling wrote
the original program, he called it `sc'.  The version Mark Weiser
distributed was called `vc' only because we already had an `sc':
the SIMPL compiler.

So has anyone trademarked `sc'?  If so, we could always call it
`a-visicalcTM-like-spreadsheet-calculator'. :-)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

andy@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Andy Linton) (01/19/87)

In article <350@sortac.UUCP> pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) writes:
>VC is actually the trademark of a well known Southeastern Asia militia;
>this predates both of the above.

Surely VC stands for Victoria Cross - the highest gallantry award for military
people in the British (and Commonwealth) armed forces. I presume this
predates even the well known SE Asian militia. (:-)

mikel@codas.UUCP (01/19/87)

The compilation went fine, but at the end I got "_doprnt" as
an undefined symbol. I understand this is what printf uses,
but I cannot find when it exists. I'm on an AT&T 3B2/400
running SVR3 (System V Release 3). Any ideas?
--
					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS
					mikel@codas.att.com.uucp

adam@miduet.UUCP (01/23/87)

In article <1677@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk> andy@cheviot (Andy Linton) writes:
->In article <350@sortac.UUCP> pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) writes:
->>VC is actually the trademark of a well known Southeastern Asia militia;
->>this predates both of the above.
->
->Surely VC stands for Victoria Cross - the highest gallantry award [] I presume
->this predates even the well known SE Asian militia. (:-)

Actually, old boy, VC is Roman numerals for ninety-five. That predate you
by two thousand years. Na na na na na! 8^)