[comp.sources.d] modem: Help needed with bi-directional getty

jjc@sdiris1.UUCP (Jim Carter) (01/22/87)

In article <4474@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk>, settle@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Settle SMB) writes:

> The following is a program which allows a port to be used for bi-directional
> uucp transfers. It also incorporates support for configuring a modem which
> may be attached to the line.
Thank you for sending the source for the bi directional getty.
It has been a wish item around here for some time.  I tried
installing your bi-directional getty and only had one problem,
the "modem" recognized the "RING" and "CONNECT" strings from
the modem, but after I logged into the system I.E. after
"login:", and "Password:", the system displayed the following:

-- No utmp entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh". --

The manual page on login had the diagnostic listed above with the
following explaination of why I recieved the error.

-- if  you  attempted  to execute login as a command without --
-- using the shell's exec internal  command  or  from  other --
-- than the initial shell.                                   --

I just don't understand the message or the explaination.
modem was started by init, and login is started by an exec
call.  If there was a bug in our system, it doesn't seam that
we could even login to our system with a normal getty.

Does anyone have this same problem, and/or solution????
confused with modem

-- Jim Carter {...!sdcsvax!jack!man!sdiris1!jjc}
-- Control Data Corporation (CIM),
-- 4455 Eastgate Mall, San Diego, CA  92121
-- Work : +1 619 450 6516 ; Home : +1 619 455 0607

sl@van-bc.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <518@sdiris1.UUCP> jjc@sdiris1.UUCP (Jim Carter) writes:
>In article <4474@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk>, settle@cs.nott.ac.uk (Dave Settle SMB) writes:
>>
>It has been a wish item around here for some time.  I tried
>installing your bi-directional getty and only had one problem,
>the "modem" recognized the "RING" and "CONNECT" strings from
>the modem, but after I logged into the system I.E. after
>"login:", and "Password:", the system displayed the following:
>
>-- No utmp entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh". --

I have the same problem running under Unisoft 5.0. The only (apparent) fix
is to do the exec to getty from the parent process instead of the child
process. Unfortunately this prevents the idle timer from functioning to
kill the login if it is idle. (Can't wait on your parent.)

I can post or mail a modified version that works on systems like this.

The end result is quite nice. I now have two incoming lines, both of which
can be used for outgoing traffic if needed, as compared to one in and one
out.

If I have time this week I will modify utamo to work with sysv as well.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532
Todays feature: Perry Mason Solves the case of the Fenced in Woman, Erle Stanley