[comp.sources.d] net.sources/comp.sources.d -- WHAT'S THE DEAL???

ejb@godot.think.com.UUCP (01/16/87)

This isn't funny. For the *second* time, net.sources just got
rmgroup'ed here. *WHY*??? It was rm'ed a while ago, then revived.
Since then, a LOT of traffic has come through it - 10 or more articles
a day. Then, today when I run rn, it says net.sources is a bogus
newsgroup. THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!! comp.sources.unix was never born,
and as we all know, mod.sources is less than active. So, what are
we gonna do???

Personally, I would like to see comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.games
created. net.sources/net.sources.games/net.sources.bugs are (were?)
the ONLY net.* groups in my .newsrc... The switchover will not be
complete until we get rid of them. SO WHY WAIT???

I'd like to also put a word in for comp.sources.pc (perhaps
comp.sources.micro, with several sublevels: pc, mac, etc.). I know
no one (save PC users) likes PC code coming over net.sources, and
whenever a big post is made to comp.sys.ibm.pc, it sometimes gets flamed:
"This is not a {source/binary} newsgroup!!!" Not a happy state of
affairs.

Other than these gripes, I'm pleased that the net reorganization went
so well. In general I like the new names (with the exception of the
"ibm.pc" rather than "ibmpc" (why create a null directory "ibm", with
only "pc" under it?)).

Cheers. --Erik

Erik Bailey         -- 7 Oak Knoll                (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!think!ejb        Arlington, MA  02174       Thinking Machines Corp.,
ejb@think.com          (617) 643-0732             Cambridge, MA)

vedm@hoqam.UUCP (01/19/87)

> This isn't funny. For the *second* time, net.sources just got
> rmgroup'ed here. *WHY*??? It was rm'ed a while ago, then revived.
> Since then, a LOT of traffic has come through it - 10 or more articles
> a day. Then, today when I run rn, it says net.sources is a bogus
> newsgroup. THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!! comp.sources.unix was never born,
> and as we all know, mod.sources is less than active. So, what are
> we gonna do???
>
> Personally, I would like to see comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.games
> created. net.sources/net.sources.games/net.sources.bugs are (were?)
> the ONLY net.* groups in my .newsrc... The switchover will not be
> complete until we get rid of them. SO WHY WAIT???
>
> Cheers. --Erik

I agree that net.sources should be REPLACED not continually newgroup'd
and rmgroup'd.

What exactly is the holdup?
Why has this group been omitted from the reorg?

Tom.
...!{decvax | ucbvax}!ihnp4!hoqax!twb

mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) (01/22/87)

	A possible reason for you seeing rmgroups for net.sources is that
	you are running vanilla 2.11 News.  There is a bug where the
	checkgroups message ignores the first newsgroup in the valid list,
	which is, you guessed it, net.sources.

--
 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated

lfr@rayssd.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <388@esl.UUCP>, mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) writes:

> 	A possible reason for you seeing rmgroups for net.sources is that
> 	you are running vanilla 2.11 News.  There is a bug where the
> 	checkgroups message ignores the first newsgroup in the valid list,
> 	which is, you guessed it, net.sources.
>
> --
        For those of us that are suffering with "vanilla" news, couldn't
        dummy group be started so it's the first newsgroup.  I don't
        really have any control over which news I am using.  At least
        I don't think that I do.

        Larry