[comp.sources.d] UUSLAVE.c

bill@sigma.UUCP (01/28/87)

>1943@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery):
>>1683@hoptoad.uucp> by pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar):
>>I picked off the uuslave code.  [...]
>The posting mentioned the fact that we're all pretty well stumped by it.
>[...]
>It *does* seem to be written for CP/M, as opposed to MS-DOS.  This might mean
>Aztec or BDS C, the two most common for CP/M.

It is *not* written for BDS C. I have been studying it for a bit and have
resolved pretty much everything EXCEPT the "inita/initb,initc" part of
the protocol. It appears that there may be some information exchanged in
this part of the protocol, but there is insufficient information on what
this might be. (It's also possible that this part of the protocol is
bogus). Can any UUCP experts out there enlighten me/us?

rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk (Robert Hamilton) (02/03/87)

In article <1040@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:

>It is *not* written for BDS C. I have been studying it for a bit and have
>resolved pretty much everything EXCEPT the "inita/initb,initc" part of
>the protocol. It appears that there may be some information exchanged in
>this part of the protocol, but there is insufficient information on what
>this might be. (It's also possible that this part of the protocol is
>bogus). Can any UUCP experts out there enlighten me/us?

We've been playing with uuslave. It is a crafty little bit of code.
It condenses a lot of the usual uucp code to give a prog. that
will run on almost anything and allow uucp file copies and *mail*
transfers. So far its run on BBC's and ATARI ST's

The only system dependant bits are:
(1) opening the serial port, setting it to RAW mode no ECHO and
    8 bits (thats where the inita stuff comes in)
    In most micros you can just open it. (fdtty=open("rs423:",3) or sim.)
(2) the read and write code (xgetc() and xputc())
    xgetx() is tricky in that it should timeout after 10 seconds
    if it doesn't get a char. You can use polling if you don't have signal()
    But in fact it will work most of the time without a timeout.

--
JANET:  rh@uk.ac.paisley.cs
EMAIL:	rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk		| Post: Systems manager.

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (02/10/87)

 > This is the mangled version of uuslave. I've fixed some parts, and
 > done my best to provide machine independence. The job is probably
 > not complete, but it will compile OK on a PC with Lattice C, as
 > well as a SUN workstation. (from the ridiculous to the sublime, eh ?)

Great!  Now that we have uuslave, has anybody worked out a method to
go the other direction, i.e. send mail from a PC to UNIX??

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <1714@ihlpl.UUCP> psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) writes:

> > This is the mangled version of uuslave. I've fixed some parts, and
> > done my best to provide machine independence. The job is probably
> > not complete, but it will compile OK on a PC with Lattice C, as
> > well as a SUN workstation. (from the ridiculous to the sublime, eh ?)
>
>Great!  Now that we have uuslave, has anybody worked out a method to
>go the other direction, i.e. send mail from a PC to UNIX??

    There is currently a project going on to develop a gateway between USENET
and the Fido network.   Fido is a BBS that runs on any MS-DOS based computer.
We expect to have the ablility to send mail as well as the newsgroups between
the two nets.  John Gilmore is currently debuging uuslave and we will be
looking into uuslave as the transport mechanism for the gateway.
    For more information concerning this project, send mail to me or the
spot mailing list, spot-m.

      Tim Pozar
      pozar@hoptoad.UUCP