[comp.sources.d] GNU's Bison vs. Yacc

cracraft@sonia.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <540076924.6593@minster.UUCP> martin@minster.UUCP (martin) writes:
>repeat NOT, yacc compatible!! Bison (at least the version I have!) does
>not support the %union directive, and all this implies. This means that I
>havn't yet found a yacc grammar which I can compile using bison, so
>I can't make use of all the nice, up-to-date algorithms bison uses!
>
>	Martin

Stallman replies:

    "Bison does support %union and I use a bison grammer with %union
    in the C compiler."

martin@minster.UUCP (02/15/87)

In article <4431@curly.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> cracraft@sonia.UUCP (Stuart M. Cracraft) writes:
>In article <540076924.6593@minster.UUCP> martin@minster.UUCP (martin) writes:
>>repeat NOT, yacc compatible!! Bison (at least the version I have!) does
>>not support the %union directive, and all this implies. This means that I
>>havn't yet found a yacc grammar which I can compile using bison, so
>>I can't make use of all the nice, up-to-date algorithms bison uses!
>>
>>	Martin
>
>Stallman replies:
>
>    "Bison does support %union and I use a bison grammer with %union
>    in the C compiler."

WONDERFUL!!! Many apologies to all, for spreading out-of-date information,
I must have an old version of Bison! That only leaves the liciencing problem
with Bison-generated programs - But I saw an article recently which suggests
this has also changed; is this true?

Now I just have to find a way of getting this new version!! Is it generally
available yet?

	Martin