[comp.sources.d] Missing Planet.star from StarChart: Yale Star Catalog.

rjf@ukc.UUCP (02/16/87)

I HATE BEING MADE TO LOOK STUPID IN PUBLIC!

In article <146@astroatc.UUCP> philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) writes:
(in comp.sources.unix - took your advice about moving it, Phil)
>In article <2495@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:
>>I am missing planet.star too. Could someone kindly email it to me?
>
>(1) Planet.Star was not supplied with the package since it has to be generated
>for any particular time, date and place by software that was posted with
>the rest of the starchart package - read the file README.
>                                    - - - - - - - - - - -

So I did 'grep planet README starchart.l' and got:
starchart.l:Star data is optionally overlayed with other cosmic objects, such as planets.
starchart.l:.RB ( planet.star )

Big help, eh? So can anyone suggest how planet.c should be used (after
compilation - I can get that far) for all us non-gurus/wizards who would
need more than a glance at the code? (And who have the later version of
README. (NB the kind assumption))
--
Robin Faichney   UUCP: ...mcvax!ukc!rjf   JANET: rjf@ukc.uk.ac

philm@astroatc.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <2511@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:
>I HATE BEING MADE TO LOOK STUPID IN PUBLIC!

I didn't mean to make you look stupid . . . really!
It's an honest question.

>Big help, eh? So can anyone suggest how planet.c should be used (after
>compilation - I can get that far) for all us non-gurus/wizards who would
>need more than a glance at the code? (And who have the later version of
>README. (NB the kind assumption))
>--
>Robin Faichney   UUCP: ...mcvax!ukc!rjf   JANET: rjf@ukc.uk.ac

Robin, (and all of the people who want to use planet display with starchart) -

If you used the supplied makefile, you should have have an executable called
'planet'.  Running 'planet' and giving it all of the appropriate information
will generate a 'planet.star' file.  If you now run any of the starchart
display utilities, you will find planets in the proper relationships to the
background of stars.  Of course, for any particular time of day, you need to
run 'planet' to put the orbs in their places.  If you no longer want
planet display, delete the file 'planet.star'.

--
Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technology Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"