[comp.sources.d] Bison

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <3740@teddy.UUCP>, jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>> If you really want a pd yacc, "bison" is available from the Gnu
>> project, and you won't be vulnerable to a suit.

> Well, not by AT&T.  However, people should be aware that bison inserts
> a copy of the GNU copyright into every generated C file.

It WHAT??

> He [Stallman] feels that all new software in the world should be
> GNUware.

I'm not gonna dare use any GNU software if he's resorting to this sort
of subterfuge to sneak GNUware status into *my* code.  Or rather, only
for text stuff that I can check by hand (and belive me, I *will* check
by hand!).

> Anyway, I refuse to use any tool that makes such a restriction on
> it's use (even if such a restriction is totally unenforcable!)

Fersure.  Me too.  Probably lots of other people; this sort of thing
strikes me as rather shooting himself in the foot.  How come GNU Emacs
doesn't stamp a GNU notice (in whatever flavor of comments are
appropriate) on any file you edit with it??  (Probably because people
would almost certainly notice - with bison they probably won't.)

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu