[comp.sources.d] "Public Domain" YACC - AT&T Position on Proprietary and Copyrighted Software

fcp@alice.UUCP (02/25/87)

AT&T SOFTWARE

Recently, there have been several comments and opinions given on this network
regarding AT&T protecting its source code software, and what rights AT&T
retains if someone exposes the software to unauthorized persons. Please be
aware that AT&T investigates each suspected violation of its source code
software agreements. We work diligently to protect our proprietary interests.

When unauthorized source code exposures are made, it is a result of someone
violating an AT&T agreement. Because the code was exposed does not make it
public domain, and the proprietary rights still remain with AT&T.

Please be aware we are tracing down a recent exposure of some of our
source code on this network, and we have, and will continue to take,
corrective action.

Questions regarding source code software licensing should be referred to
1-800-828-UNIX.

                                          Otis Wilson
                                          General Manager
                                          AT&T UNIX(r) Software Licensing

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:

>AT&T SOFTWARE
>
>software agreements. We work diligently to protect our proprietary interests.

	Seems to me that if you were working DILIGENTLY, you would provide
an address for e-mail where usenet users could solicit information as to
whether something was public domain.  How long have these queries been flying
around before a response finally came from AT&T?  We saw EMPIRE source code
posted and the owner responded within 24 hours!  Now THAT is diligence!  Most
of the users on the net have a genuine concern to keep proprietary code off.
Can't it be made easier for them to maintain their ethics?

	BTW, the poster didn't even answer the question of yacc's source...
--
Michael R. Wayne           Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company
Voice: (313) 322-3986                           UUCP:  ihnp4!mb2c!fmsrl7!wayne

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
> Please be aware we are tracing down a recent exposure of some of our
> source code on this network, and we have, and will continue to take,
> corrective action.

>                                           Otis Wilson
>                                           General Manager
>                                           AT&T UNIX(r) Software Licensing

Doesn't this belong in talk.threats or something similar?  Really,
what purpose does this serve?  Should we all now go cower under our
beds?  Rather than broadcasting threats, I think that quick and
definitive action would be more appropriate.

Just my opinion...

--
Greg Paris ....................... gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM
{cbosgd,gatech,ihnp4,linus,mirror,uiucdcs}!rayssd!gmp

burris@ihuxz.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <691@rayssd.RAY.COM>, gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
> > Please be aware we are tracing down a recent exposure of some of our
> > source code on this network, and we have, and will continue to take,
> > corrective action.
>
> >                                           Otis Wilson
> >                                           General Manager
> >                                           AT&T UNIX(r) Software Licensing
>
> Doesn't this belong in talk.threats or something similar?  Really,
> what purpose does this serve?  Should we all now go cower under our
> beds?  Rather than broadcasting threats, I think that quick and
> definitive action would be more appropriate.

Come on guys lighten up! First you imply that AT&T has no right to
say that their code is proprietary because someone illegally posted
it and AT&T should have prevented it. Then you flame when an official
statement comes from an official of AT&T!

The only way that statement could be considered a threat is if you are
the person directly responsible for release of proprietary software or
are caught using it without a liscense. There have been accusations that
AT&T is not taking adequate steps to protect their software. The official
statement from AT&T SHOULD be an indication that this is hogwash.

If you wish to use software illegally that is your choice and your risk
which you assess and decide for yourself. Just don't expect everyone to
buy your bullhockey which attempts to convince us that you have some sort
of legal or moral grounds to do so!

Dave Burris
ihnp4!ihuxz!burris

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <691@rayssd.RAY.COM> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
>> we have, and will continue to take, corrective action.
>

>Doesn't this belong in talk.threats or something similar?  Really,
>what purpose does this serve?  Should we all now go cower under our
>beds?

I read it as a statement of intent and of fact, not as a threat. But if
you've got something to worry about...

keith

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <691@rayssd.RAY.COM>, gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
> >                                           Otis Wilson
> >                                           General Manager
> >                                           AT&T UNIX(r) Software Licensing
>
> Doesn't this belong in talk.threats or something similar?  Really,

Give me a break.  There has been a lot of misguided talk on the nets
over the exact nature of protection of UNIX and copyrights/trade secrets
in general.  Recently, there has been a large proportion of misinformation,
especially with regard to GNU and MINIX.  It is refreshing to see some
exact information, posted to the correct news groups, without a lot of
useless rhetoric and flaming attached to it.  Despite what you think
of the rest of AT&T, we have always been given the straight story from
Otis Wilson, Al Arms, and the rest who were in charge of licensing
UNIX over the years.

-Ron

hedrick@topaz.UUCP (03/01/87)

Companies are required by law to respond whenever they see someone
publish copyrighted code improperly, or when they see someone claim
that they no longer intend to enforce the copyright on something.  If
they see such things and fail to respond, they can lose their
copyright.  The statement

In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
> Please be aware we are tracing down a recent exposure of some of our
> source code on this network, and we have, and will continue to take,
> corrective action.

was almost certainly written by one of their lawyers to be the minimum
necessary to preserve their legal rights.  The same sort of doctrine
occurs with access to private areas.  Rutgers closes off all of its
on-campus streets one day a year, just to make sure they don't revert
to being public.  (They do this on Christmas day, by putting up a
small sawhorse in the middle of the road saying "this road is
closed".)  I have seen other universities do this as well.  ATT *has*
to respond when their copyright is challenged, or they risk having
Unix become public domain.  I don't know of any software other than
Unix whose source is as widely distributed.  This may be due to the
peculiar history of Unix or it may really be that ATT wants to be good
guys.  But whatever the reason, Unix source is available to so many
people that ATT is very near the limits of believability when they
claim it to be a trade secret.  Many of the discussions on
unix-wizards and other groups come very near the line, given that our
license agreements require us to consider all knowledge of Unix
internals as confidential information.  I think ATT has been
remarkably friendly in their enforcement of the Unix license
provisions.  It would be possible to push them into a corner where
they would feel compelled to take a stricter interpretation.  I have
seen some comments recently in the discussion of the setuid bit that
look remarkably like challenges to ATT to act.  I think we would all
be better off if we let sleeping dogs lie, and be understanding if now
and then the dog opens an eye and growls when somebody steps on his
tail.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <691@rayssd.RAY.COM> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
>> Please be aware we are tracing down a recent exposure of some of our
>> source code on this network, and we have, and will continue to take,
>> corrective action.
>
>>                                           Otis Wilson
>>                                           General Manager
>>                                           AT&T UNIX(r) Software Licensing
>
>Doesn't this belong in talk.threats or something similar?  Really,
>what purpose does this serve?  Should we all now go cower under our

No, this belongs here. Don't you recall all the (obviously false to
me) speculation that if someone posted Unix source code, AT&T would no
longer have rights to it? This is not a proper thing to do (no more
proper than my stealing your car) and AT&T has a right to protect its
property, and a right to remind people that Unix is their property.

--
 I'd rather be compatible than right.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 982 7840
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <1896@ihuxz.ATT.COM> burris@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Burris) writes:
>Come on guys lighten up! First you imply that AT&T has no right to
>say that their code is proprietary because someone illegally posted
>it and AT&T should have prevented it. Then you flame when an official
>statement comes from an official of AT&T!
>
>The only way that statement could be considered a threat is if you are
>the person directly responsible for release of proprietary software or
>are caught using it without a liscense. There have been accusations that
>AT&T is not taking adequate steps to protect their software. The official
>statement from AT&T SHOULD be an indication that this is hogwash.

The point is that it does not identify WHAT software is illegal.
Telling us that XX software is propietary but they make no claims to YY
is a service.  Saying SOMEONE did SOMETHING and they are going to get
them is a threat.  Hell, they don't even say if the alledged breach
involved the net.  Their posting will make everyone nervious about using
any software taken from the net.

I think the request was for someone from AT&T to state that the software
in question was or was not theirs.  This would have ended speculation on
the subject.  Obviously there is no incentive for them to do so and good
reasons for them not to.  Would you want to be the one releasing all
claim on YY and then find out you were wrong?

Like most official statements, it has zero data content.  Please be so
good as to tell me one fact of information gleened from that statement
that was not already obvious.

					Jerry Aguirre
					Systems Administration
					Olivetti ATC

roger@celtics.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <821@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>In article <6662@alice.uUCp> fcp@alice.UUCP writes:
>>software agreements. We work diligently to protect our proprietary interests.
>	Seems to me that if you were working DILIGENTLY, you would provide
>an address for e-mail where usenet users could solicit information as to
>whether something was public domain.

Gosh, is the telephone satisfactory only for data-speed communication?
They included a phone number... if your interest is truly discovering if
code is public domain, and not a quick game of Flame The Giant, that
should more than suffice.
--
 ///==\\   (No disclaimer - nobody's listening anyway.)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)