[comp.sources.d] smail pronounciation

daveb@rtech.UUCP (02/19/87)

At USENIX, I ran into a number of people talking about installing
something they called, "Ess Mail", two words.  "How quaint," I thought,
and when I told Chris Seiwald, the first author, he chuckled too.

As pronounced in our office, smail rhymes with snail, using the same "sm"
sound in "small smile."

Just thought you'd like to know.

-dB
--
If it worked, we wouldn't call it high tech.

{amdahl, sun, mtxinu, cbosgd}!rtech!daveb

page@ulowell.UUCP (02/20/87)

daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) wrote in article <667@rtech.UUCP>:
> smail rhymes with snail, using the same "sm" sound in "small smile."

This is interesting (even though it is in comp.mail.uucp), since
everyone I know calls it Ess Mail.  It reminds me of Day Ta vs Dah Ta,
or the way Doug Comer says 'XINU' vs the way Ed Gould says it.

In the art world (is a program 'art'?  What is 'art'?), there is a
saying:  Once you release a work, the interpretation is no longer yours,
but belongs to the public.  (Conceptually!  No flames about Copyrights!)

How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?

	:-)

Thanks Dave (how do you say 'Brower'?), for a little humor in Usenet.
Things *have* been a bit heavy lately, no?

..Bob

>If it worked, we wouldn't call it high tech.

Is this just your view of the world, or does 'we' mean RTI?   ;-)
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (02/21/87)

Bob Page <page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> writes:

	How do you say 'vi'?

"vee-eye"

	'rn'?

"are-enn"

	'rm'?

"are-emm"

	'mv'?

"move"

	(how do you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?)

"gay-tech" ... "see bogosity" (apologies to Erik Fair) ...

... and one I got strange looks about from people at Bellcore ...

	'ioctl()'

"eye-octal" (some say "I/O control" ...)

/jordan

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <17481@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Bob Page <page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> writes:
>
>	How do you say 'vi'?
>
>"vee-eye"

This is, of course, the correct way, although many people incorrectly
say "vye".  But I'll never forget the person who pronounced it

	"six"

>	(how do you say 'cbosgd'?)
>
>... "see bogosity" (apologies to Erik Fair) ...

Ernie Rice calls it "Osgood".  Locally, we generally say "Oh Ess Jee Dee",
or sometimes just "Dee".

By the way, cbatt is "see-bat".

	Mark

uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <667@rtech.UUCP>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

> How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
> you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?

I heard a guy from Talaris pronounce "tdl" as "tibble". Anyone else ever
heard this?

How about "vi" as "veye" as in indiVIsible.
A particularly widespread on seems daemon as either "DAYmon" or "DEmon". I've
seen people get religous about this, sometimes using the spellings as
jusification (daemon, demon).

Any other strange ones out there?

--
#			---Tom Adams---
# {bellcore,ihnp4}!sw1e!uusgta	St. Louis MO	314-235-4237

campbell@maynard.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <17481@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>... and one I got strange looks about from people at Bellcore ...
>
>	'ioctl()'
>
>"eye-octal" (some say "I/O control" ...)

I say "eye-oh-cuttle".
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

solomon@crystal.UUCP (02/23/87)

I know that Bill Joy himself pronounces 'vi' /vee-eye/, but I still tend
to say /vye/.  I remember a friend in graduate school who, noting that
'PL/I' is universally pronounced /pee-el-one/, would pronounce the name
of its home company /one-bee-em/.
--
	Marvin Solomon
	Computer Sciences Department

randy@chinet.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <17481@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Bob Page <page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> writes:
>
>	How do you say 'vi'?
>
>"vee-eye"

	And, according to Lauren, uucico?
	yu yu chiko.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

hp@beta.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <486@sw1e.UUCP>, uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (uusgta) writes:
> In article <667@rtech.UUCP>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> > How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
> > you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?
>
> How about "vi" as "veye" as in indiVIsible.
> Any other strange ones out there?

I recently met someone who pronounced ".cshrc" as "dot see-shirk".
I liked that, since I pronounce csh as "see-shell" or "see ess aich",
but I've been unable to train myself to pronounce it that way.
(I usually call it "dot kashirk", which sounds like it's asking for a
"gezsundheit!" (um, I never took German), except when I'm talking to
people for whom I expect to have to spell it out.)

When I was first learning Unix, I was trained to call '~' a "twiddle",
but seemingly the rest of the world calls it "tilde".  Bang, backquote,
backslash and star seem fairly universal (although I have a terrible
time trying to teach the secretaries here, who are just learning Unix,
which is forward and which is backward), but is '#' a number sign,
a hash-mark, or something else?  (A colleague and I coined "scratch" for
'#' and "snail" (or "nautilus") for '@', but they never caught on.)
Come to think of it, I used to know someone who would run ay point out
after a compilation, which I though was odd at the time since everybody
else I know says ay dot out.

I always thought that "/lib" was pronounced as in "Libby's", but lots
of people around here call it "lybe".  (I've never heard "bine" as in
"binary", though.)  Mostly the same people who use "Megs" as the plural
of "Meg" (I use "Meg" for both singular and plural of "megabyte").
Come to think of it, they also tend to mispronounce my name, too ...

Everybody I've met seems to pronounce the "G" in Gnu.  Is this just
regional, or does rms pronounce it this way too?  Does Latex have a long
'a', or is it pronounced "lah-teck" (which, to my mind, isn't nearly as
funny)?

A popular command here is "tibble pipe ee cue en pipe trough".  "Ptroff",
though, is pronounced "pee-tee-roff", not "pee-trough".

I knew I had joined the ranks of REAL Lisp programmers when I found out
that "cdr" was pronounced "could-er" instead of "cooder" the way the
books said.  (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)

I'd be interested in hearing how other people pronounce Unix-related
things.  I should probably post this to misc.misc.  Hmm, maybe I will.

Back to work?  Oh, yeah ...

..
	...Akkana         Center for Nonlinear Studies, LANL
	akkana%cnls@lanl.arpa   hp@lanl.arpa   ihnp4!lanl!hp

"The guy sure looks like plant food to me."
			-- Little shop of Horrors

jsloan@wright.UUCP (02/24/87)

in article <486@sw1e.UUCP>, uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (uusgta) says:
> In article <667@rtech.UUCP>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>> How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
>> you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?
> Any other strange ones out there?

I recall hearing a systems engineer at an IBM presentation (this was
in my previous incarnation as an systems programmer on large IBM
mainframes) pronounce re-IPL (Initial Program Load... boot to all
the rest of us) as "ripple". As in, "for this change to take effect,
you have to ripple the machine". Took me a while to figure out what the
**** he was talking about.
--
John Sloan  CSNET: jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan
Computer Science Department, Wright State University, Dayton OH, 45435

dave@lsuc.UUCP (02/24/87)

PLEASE! If everyone starts posting their pronunciations of "smail",
"vi" and "cbosgd", the net will break down yet further. This is one
of those topics that *everyone* will want to say something about.

If someone cares enough to collect MAIL on how people pronounce things,
go ahead and offer. But unless you have something unique to say
(Mark Horton's note on how cbosgd is pronounced at cbosgd qualifies),
PLEASE DO NOT FLOOD THE NET with your own pronunciations of things.

Thank you.

David Sherman, Toronto
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

rupp@cod.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:

>When I was first learning Unix, I was trained to call '~' a "twiddle",
>but seemingly the rest of the world calls it "tilde".

That's because it *is* a tilde!

>is '#' a number sign,

How about 'pound sign'?

>Come to think of it, I used to know someone who would run ay point out
>after a compilation, which I though was odd at the time since everybody
>else I know says ay dot out.

'point' would imply a numeric value, no?  'dot' is more appropriate for
alpha characters.

>Everybody I've met seems to pronounce the "G" in Gnu.  Is this just

A gnu is an actual animal.  The g in gnu is not pronounced, so why
should the G in Gnu be pronounced?

>though, is pronounced "pee-tee-roff", not "pee-trough".

That makes sense, since the origin of the word is the original 'roff'.
Keeping the integrity of the original word seems to be a good idea.
For instance, 'ruptime' is derived from 'uptime,' so the word *should*
be pronounced 'r-uptime.' (But since my name is Rupp, I break the rule
and pronounce is 'Rupptime.')

>I knew I had joined the ranks of REAL Lisp programmers when I found out
>that "cdr" was pronounced "could-er" instead of "cooder" the way the
>books said.  (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)

I don't understand why a three letter command should not just be
pronounced as its spelled; i.e. 'cee dee are.'

These thoughts are my own, and do not reflect the official or unofficial
position of my employer.........How's that, Gary!!!!!

geoff@desint.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:

> (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)

Rhymes with "cadaver"...
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

stirling@fortune.UUCP (02/25/87)

I thought I'd clutter up the net with my ideas on pronumciation of various
UN!X terms:

! - bang (USA), shriek (UK), exclamation mark
@ - at sign
# - pound sign, number sign (USA), hash (UK)
^ - carat, up arrow
* - star, asterisk
( - paren (USA), bracket (UK)
{ - curly bracket (anywhere), brace (UK)
[ - bracket (USA), square bracket (UK)
~ - tilde, squiggle (me)
. - dot
_ - underbar, sub

I think the rest are obvious. Note the opportunity for Us/UK misunderstandings
with brackets! Generally I spell out commands (eg ceepee, emvee etc) unless
they're obvioulsy pronounceable (eg tar, mount, T-roff). One poster said that
he pronounced vi as veye as in inVIsible - but to me the i there is as in pig
not hide! I say vee-eye. Enough said.
patrick
{ihnp4, hplabs, amdcad, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!stirling

rickheit@ulowell.UUCP (02/25/87)

< nonesense! There's no such thing as a line-eater! I'll show you.. >

In article <486@sw1e.UUCP> uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (uusgta) writes:
>In article <667@rtech.UUCP>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>
>> How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
>> you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?
>
>Any other strange ones out there?

   I think my favorite has to be 'tty', 'titty'. This, of course, sets you
for a whole load of good stuff--'gtty' (get titty) 'stty' (set titty)
ttyname (titty name), isatty (is a titty). If I'm in a good mood, I'm
typing on a vitty two twenty.

  Then, of course, just to be boring, 'getty' gets pronounced the same
way as the oil company. sigh.

  I get a few complaints about this of course, but when challenged,
I just say 'but, I like titties,' and they get real quiet.

   Signing off, rik hite at you lole

--
			a lesser Power of Darkness
UUCP: ...!wanginst!ulowell!rickheit      : USnail: Erich Rickheit

randolph@cognito.UUCP (02/25/87)

Printers call '#' "octothorpe" & a '/' a "virgule".
--
Randolph Fritz
sun!randolph

jona@clyde.UUCP (02/25/87)

>I heard a guy from Talaris pronounce "tdl" as "tibble". Anyone else ever
>heard this?

Are you sure it wasn't 'tbl' - everyone here pronounces that as "tibble".

Given that "Email" is generally pronounced 'ee mail' I found I prefer
ess-mail to smail ryhming with snail.

I always pronunce the '#' sign as a 'pound' sign - that is one of its
meanings and it is quicker to say than 'number' - besides, who ever
heard of 'number-define (== #define) - everyone here says 'pound-define'.

an @ sign is just that - an 'at' sign.

for ioctl() we say i-o-cottel.

It seems to be a toss-up between lib (short i) and libe (long i) for
slash lib (/lib).

for troff and nroff I've generally heard tee-roff and en-roff which is
at least consistant.

Oh well, goes to show that nothing in Un*x is consistant.

biagioni@unc.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
>I knew I had joined the ranks of REAL Lisp programmers when I found out
>that "cdr" was pronounced "could-er" instead of "cooder" the way the
>books said.  (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)

cad-ould-d-ad-er, of course. Comes from caddr (cald-ould-er, the
third element in a list) and cdadr (could-ad-er) which is not a very
useful selector. (can you say tail of second element in the list?).

Ed Biagioni		biagioni@cs.unc.edu
			(seismo|decvax)!mcnc!unc!biagioni

singer@spar.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <517@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
>In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
>>is '#' a number sign,
>
>How about 'pound sign'?

I've heard this referred to as 'number sign', 'sharp', and 'octothorpe'.
Does the 'pound sign' come from the fact that in UK ASCII this position
is/was printed as a British poubd sterling currency marker?

arosen@ulowell.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
>Everybody I've met seems to pronounce the "G" in Gnu.  Is this just
>regional, or does rms pronounce it this way too?

No controversy there.  It says in the docs to pronounce the "G".

>I'd be interested in hearing how other people pronounce Unix-related

Is a "^" a carrot or an up-arrow?

I pronounce "su" ess-you(unless someone uses it against me, then it's sue :-),
I once said eff-stab before I realized what the file was for.

Then there's dot-mail-rick.  Also, dit, double-dit and back-dit(' " and `).

A new one I heard was hash-include-studio-dot-aich.

USnail: Andy Rosen         | ulowell!arosen | *************
        ULowell, Box #3031 |                | * RD in '88 *
        Lowell, Ma 01854   |                | *************

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (02/26/87)

As quoted from <17481@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> by jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes):
+---------------
| Bob Page <page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> writes:
|
| 	(how do you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?)
|
| "gay-tech" ... "see bogosity" (apologies to Erik Fair) ...
+---------------

"gay-tech"
"see-boz-giddy"

+---------------
| ... and one I got strange looks about from people at Bellcore ...
|
| 	'ioctl()'
|
| "eye-octal" (some say "I/O control" ...)
+---------------

"eye-oh-kittil"
--
++Brandon (Resident Elf @ ncoast.UUCP)
 ____   ______________
|     | \__/ \__/ \__/    Mentor, OH 44060-4101
\____/ \______________/   +1 216 974 9210

amit@umn-cs.UUCP (02/26/87)

/* Written 12:56 pm  Feb 87, 19783 by clyde!jona in umn-cs:comp.sources.d */

> an @ sign is just that - an 'at' sign.

Nope -- it's also 'snail', and (my favorite) 'strudel'.

rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <356@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM> singer@spar.UUCP (David Singer) writes:
>Does the 'pound sign' come from the fact that in UK ASCII this position
>is/was printed as a British poubd sterling currency marker?

No, long before that freight companies used it (and still use it) to mean
"pound", as in weight. So if you see "23#" on the side of a box, it means
"this weighs twenty-three pounds".

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

whm@arizona.UUCP (02/26/87)

A friend of mine once eyed a SNOBOL4 book I had and asked:

    "What sort of a language is snobble?"

elisa@mmm.UUCP (02/26/87)

> In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
> > (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)

ca-duh-duh-dader

--
@>--->----
Elisa Collins  3M  St. Paul, MN ...!ihnp4!mmm!elisa

eer@ritcv.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <1104@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> arosen@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Andy Rosen) writes:
>In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
>>Everybody I've met seems to pronounce the "G" in Gnu.  Is this just
>Is a "^" a carrot or an up-arrow?

I got into the bad practice of calling it a 'hat' - like a dunce cap -
with customers on a Honeywell minicomputer, who used ^ as the
prefix identifier for disk volume names...it got to be a habit to call
the fixed disk platter by its name 'hat - fixed zero', or ^FIXED0.

Only once did one of our customer developers spend more than 2 hours
talking to a novice customer trying to get a directory listing of
'HATFIXED0'.

Ed Reed - Rochester Institute of Technology
phone:    (716) 334-3006
Delphi:   EERTEST
GEnie:    SQA.INC
Usenet:   ...rochester!ritcv!eer

roger@celtics.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:

>Everybody I've met seems to pronounce the "G" in Gnu.  Is this just
>regional, or does rms pronounce it this way too?

He advocates pronouncing the "G", so nobody thinks you're saying
"the new Emacs".
--
 ///==\\   (No disclaimer - nobody's listening anyway.)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)

crs@cpsc6b.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <122@wright.EDU>, jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
> in article <486@sw1e.UUCP>, uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (uusgta) says:
> > In article <667@rtech.UUCP>, page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> >> How do you say 'vi'?  'rn'?  'Usenet'?  'rm'?  'mv'?  Should spaf (how do
> >> you say 'gatech'? 'cbosgd'?) put out a Usenet Guide to Pronunciation?
> > Any other strange ones out there?

> John Sloan  CSNET: jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan

How about /etc.  I have always pronounced it slash-eht-cee, but today I
encountered someone who actually said 'etcetera'.  'If I make this change
in etcetera inittab...'.

Are we having fun yet?

Chris Seaman
AT&T
working on a Signature...

grog@runx.UUCP (02/27/87)

'#' - SHARP
'\' - SLOSH
ksh - KEESH (as in quiche)
any others??? ...............................Grog.............

ADDRESS: grog@runx.ips.oz

neitzel@infbs.UUCP (02/27/87)

> As pronounced in our office, ...

OUR office practices promouncing, too:

"vi" can be heard in various flavours: vee-eye, of course,
and new are two versions with national Aussprache: fow-eeh, Vee

The at-sign '@' is called "spider-monkey" due to its appearing,

BUT... since we are in Germany, we say "Klammeraffe" wich sometimes
will be abbreviated (okay: 'coded') as "Klaffe". [Sounds like "cluffe!"]

White space in command lines is pronounced as "Loch!" (hole),
the return key at the and of a command listens to the name "Zack!"

   `.do .skip .od'	Martin Neitzel				~..~
			..seismo!mcvax!unido!infbs!neitzel	(OO)

install@kosman.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <356@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM>, singer@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (David Singer) writes:
> In article <517@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> >In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
> >>is '#' a number sign,
> >
> >How about 'pound sign'?
> >
> I've heard this referred to as 'number sign', 'sharp', and 'octothorpe'.
> Does the 'pound sign' come from the fact that in UK ASCII this position
> is/was printed as a British poubd sterling currency marker?

Nope, it's because in some commercial usages, it is used to indicate pounds
of weight, as in 145# is 145 pounds, somewhat as ' and " are for feet and
inches as well as minutes and seconds of arc.

--
                         Kevin O'Gorman
                         ...{decvax,allegra}!philabs!hhb!kosman!kevin

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <1112@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:

>>	How do you say 'vi'?
>>
>>"vee-eye"
>
>	And, according to Lauren, uucico?
>	yu yu chiko.

	Enough with this "xxx pronounciation".

Raanan Herrmann  (...!delftcc,phri!bc-cis!raanan)

bobd@dshovax.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <356@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM> singer@spar.UUCP (David Singer) writes:
>Does the 'pound sign' come from the fact that in UK ASCII this position
>is/was printed as a British poubd sterling currency marker?

If I remember correctly, the '$' in ASCII occupies the "national currency
symbol" position in the ISO character set standard. The British equivalent
puts the Pound Sterling symbol in that position, the Japanese the Yen symbol,
and I think a few other countries put their currency symbol there.

play@mcvax.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <1602@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
 > (Mark Horton's note on how cbosgd is pronounced at cbosgd qualifies),
In my opinion his note on the pronunciation of vi quialified more.

langdon@lll-lcc.UUCP (02/28/87)

This discussion reminds me of the intolerance my teenagers have of their
parents' Canadian pronounciation that differs sometimes from
that of the centre of the universe where they are growing up, sort of.
Except the contributors to this discussion have better humor about it.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.ARPA
	Physics Department                  "langdon#bruce%d@lll-mfe.ARPA"
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{ihnp4,qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,styx,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon
                  ..{gymble,ll-xn,seismo}!lll-crg!lll-lcc!langdon

james@mucs.UUCP (03/02/87)

> Given that "Email" is generally pronounced 'ee mail' I found I prefer
> ess-mail to smail ryhming with snail.
>
> I always pronunce the '#' sign as a 'pound' sign - that is one of its
> meanings and it is quicker to say than 'number' - besides, who ever
> heard of 'number-define (== #define) - everyone here says 'pound-define'.

This is a 'hash', a pound sign is something else !!!

> for ioctl() we say i-o-cottel.

i-oktel

--

*=============================================================================*
* James P Moir,                  |    UNIX Systems Manager                    *

winton@btnix.UUCP (03/02/87)

in article <6905@clyde.ATT.COM>, jona@moss.ATT.COM says:

> I always pronunce the '#' sign as a 'pound' sign - that is one of its
> meanings and it is quicker to say than 'number' - besides, who ever
> heard of 'number-define (== #define) - everyone here says 'pound-define'.

Hmmmmm.... at the risk of seeming pedantic (but why should that bother me,
no-one else seems TOO worried :-), here in the UK, where it actually matters
how we represent our currency, a `#' is most definitely NOT a `pound' sign.
A real pound sign looks rather like this
			__
		       /
		       |		There used to be a double bar across
		      ===	<--- 	the centre, but these days we seem to
		       |		have been reduced to one...
		      -----

Now it may not be worth much these days, but it's all we've got!

The confusion probably arises from the fact that the UK version of the ASCII
character set often has `#' replaced by a pound sign (as do UK keyboards).

Incidentally, I believe the origin of the `real' pound sign is from a modified
`L' standing for `Lire' (latin (?) for `pound').

Back in the not-so-good-old days before we went decimal we used to earn our
daily bread in Lsd --- that's pounds, shillings and pence, or really Lire,
Sestertii and Denarii. In fact it came as quite a shock to me a couple of years
ago when visiting Italy to discover that the Italians too use the `pounds' sign
for Lire. Being as the exchange rate at the time was 1 pound = 2200 lire
seeing apples sold for several hundred `pounds' seemed very odd...

Oh, on the vexed question as to what to call a `#', well, I'm of the `hash'
school (hash-include-stud-eye-oh-dot-aitch).

Anyway, that's my twopennuth... (reach for a dictionary of British slang :-)

	Neil

	Neil Winton	  | Email: Try...
      British Telecom	  |	...!mcvax!ukc!{inset|ist}!btnix!winton
	Ipswich UK	  | or
			  |	winton@btnix.UUCP   ) Not suitable for those
    Tel: +44 473 221471   |	winton@r11.bt.co.uk ) of nervous disposition!
		"UNIX programmers do it with forks!"

bobr@zeus.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <667@cdx39.UUCP> wam@cdx39.UUCP (Bill MacLeod x7520) writes:
>In article <1528@whuts.UUCP>, tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>> !           exclamation point (not bang)
>      seriously now, do you expect me to use five syllables where one will do?
and here all these years I thought it was "shriek!"
--
I have two very rare photographs:
one is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car;

u3369429@murdu.OZ (Michael Bednarek) (03/06/87)

In article <246@roosta.btnix.uucp> winton@btnix.uucp (Neil Winton) writes:
>Incidentally, I believe the origin of the `real' pound sign is from a modified
>`L' standing for `Lire' (latin (?) for `pound').

Risking getting egg-faced:
I believe the latin word is: librum, plural: libra .
The Italian words are: Lira, plural: Lire

BTW, who put this mis-spelled version of pronunciation in the subject line?

Michael Bednarek (u3369429@murdu.oz.au)

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (03/06/87)

The lone Unix type in my shop pronounced "!" as "bang." Everybody else
pronounced it "gasp." So for a while there I had to watch my bangs and
gasps.

By the way, how do people pronounce "char," as in "getchar?" I've only
heard it pronounced with a soft "ch" as in "chair;" my instinct at
first was to pronounce it hard, like "car." What do others do?

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (03/06/87)

In article <246@roosta.btnix.uucp>, Neil Winton (winton@btnix.uucp) writes:

> . . .

> Hmmmmm.... at the risk of seeming pedantic (but why should that bother me,
> no-one else seems TOO worried :-), here in the UK, where it actually matters
> how we represent our currency, a `#' is most definitely NOT a `pound' sign.
> . . .

No idea where it came from, but the pound sign (#) was used in the U.S.
to denote weight (as opposed to money) long before there were computers!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!ste

news@rlvd.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <356@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM> singer@spar.UUCP (David Singer) writes:
>In article <517@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
>>In article <1277@beta.UUCP> hp@beta.UUCP (Akkana) writes:
>>>is '#' a number sign,
>>
>>How about 'pound sign'?
>>
>I've heard this referred to as 'number sign', 'sharp', and 'octothorpe'.
>Does the 'pound sign' come from the fact that in UK ASCII this position
>is/was printed as a British poubd sterling currency marker?

Everyone I know refers to the symbol '#' as hash.
US ASCII has no pound (sterling) symbol, so in the UK it is normal to use
'#' when a symbol for pound (sterling) is required. In case anyone does not
know, a real pound (sterling) symbol is a curly l with two horizontal lines
through it.

   Look after the pennies and the hashes will look after themselves.....

Ian Gunn                               UK JANET : ian@uk.ac.rl.vd
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory             UUCP : ..!mcvax!ukc!rlvd!ian
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX             ARPA : @ucl.cs.arpa:ian@vd.rl.ac.uk
England.	                         'phone : (0235) 21900 ext: 5707

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (03/07/87)

In article <246@roosta.btnix.uucp> winton@btnix.uucp (Neil Winton) writes:

>Hmmmmm.... at the risk of seeming pedantic (but why should that bother me,
>no-one else seems TOO worried :-), here in the UK, where it actually matters
>how we represent our currency, a `#' is most definitely NOT a `pound' sign.
>A real pound sign looks rather like this [drawing follows]

By "real pound sign" you mean the sign for pounds sterling (or Italian
Lire, as you indicate later). I have actually _seen_ pounds, when
indicating weight, being abbreviated by a nurse in a U.S. hospital as
"#" (placed after the numerals). This made me somewhat more tolerant
of calling "pound sign" what I too call the "number sign." So I
suppose there is a trade or professional origin to "#" being used to
mean "pounds."

--
"... ain't nobody's business if I do."		..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
	-- Billie Holiday     			    PMRCJDB@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

dce@mips.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <1229@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:
>By the way, how do people pronounce "char," as in "getchar?" I've only
>heard it pronounced with a soft "ch" as in "chair;" my instinct at
>first was to pronounce it hard, like "car." What do others do?

I tend to pronounce abbreviated and partial words as though the rest of
the word was still there, as opposed to turning it into it's own word.

So, I pronounce 'char' as 'care', as though I was going to say 'character'
but stopped. I pronounce 'lib' as 'lybe', as though I was going to say
'library' and stopped.

--
			David Elliott

UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!dce, DDD:  	408-720-1700

oleg@quad1.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (03/08/87)

>> (But how do you pronounce cadddadr?)
>Rhymes with "cadaver"...

... with a stutter: "could-d'd-d'd-udr"
--
Oleg Kiselev  --  oleg@quad1.UUCP  --  {...!psivax|seismo!gould}!quad1!oleg
		  oleg@oacvax.ucla.edu    olg@locus.ucla.edu

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (03/08/87)

In the Multics world, '!' is 'shriek'  (rarely, 'screech').

char is one of the most variable ones.  Due to the influences of an early
professor of Computer Science, I pronounce it as 'care' -- that is, exactly
the way I pronounce it when it's part of the word 'char-acter'.

Because of their usage in moving through the hierarchy when entering path names, '>' and '<' are often called 'down' and 'up' respectively.  (Which may be why
^'s are hats, and not 'up-arrows' -- so as to avoid confusion with <'s.

montante@silver.UUCP (03/08/87)

In article <246@roosta.btnix.uucp> winton@btnix.uucp (Neil Winton) writes:
# in article <6905@clyde.ATT.COM>, jona@moss.ATT.COM says:
#>
#
# Hmmmmm.... at the risk of seeming pedantic (but why should that bother me,
# no-one else seems TOO worried :-), here in the UK, where it actually matters
# how we represent our currency, a `#' is most definitely NOT a `pound' sign.
#   [...]
# The confusion probably arises from the fact that the UK version of the ASCII
# character set often has `#' replaced by a pound sign (as do UK keyboards).

In my sordid youth in the American midwest I once learned '#' as 'pound sign'
-- as in "a 10# sack of potatoes" (about 5Kg, that is).  I can't relate that
to Lire, Sestertii, and Denarii (at the time, 10# of potatoes cost less than
a buck :-).

An Australian professor of mine seems to have infected me with 'hash' (or
'hatch') disease.  It does look vaguely like hashmarks/crosshatching, the word
is one syllable long, and fits okay with other phonemes (as in "hashinclude
studio H").

uusgta@sw1e.UUCP (03/09/87)

I've been watching the storm but feel compelled to jump in now.  As was
earlier stated "language is a form of communications".  As such, standards
are formed and defended.  A virgule is a trivia question, not a *current*
form of communication.  Defense of obsolete, though correct nomenclature
is no more or less reasonable than support of obsolete theology, languages,
or operating systems.  When enough people agree the standards change.
What is different here is that the standard board of publication is the (a)
dictionary.  Websters (I expect) has  little representation in this forum.
We all use the term most likely to provoke recognition.  Perhaps what should
be done is to publish those terms in *this* forum, in a clear, democratic
compendium? eh?

--
#			---Tom Adams---
# {bellcore,ihnp4}!sw1e!uusgta	St. Louis MO	314-235-4237
# Opinions expressed here are mine, not those of Southwestern Bell Telephone

jgh@miduet.UUCP (03/09/87)

'->' == 'point'
 as in: 'p= p->next;' == 'pee becomes pee point next'
--
Jeremy Harris	jgh@gec-mi-at.co.uk	...!mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!jgh

res@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (03/10/87)