[comp.sources.d] Software Obsolescence

cody@unixprt.UUCP (03/31/87)

I have been following the distributions and patches for both news 2.11
and Patch. Both have accumulated 5 or more lengthy patch files.
Considering the importance of both programs to the USENET community,
isn't time for a revised posting of both with all current, official
patches folded in.

A new clean base for distribution appears highly desirable.

P.S. Patch is up to patch level 8, News 2.11 is up to level 5. Also
     there have been numerous patch postings for 2.11 that are not
     `official'.

rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <272@unixprt.UUCP> cody@unixprt.UUCP (Commando Cody) writes:
>I have been following the distributions and patches for both news 2.11
>and Patch. Both have accumulated 5 or more lengthy patch files.
>Considering the importance of both programs to the USENET community,
>isn't time for a revised posting of both with all current, official
>patches folded in.
>
>A new clean base for distribution appears highly desirable.

I strongly disagree.  Given the base distribution for news 2.11 and
the patch files, and "patch" itself, it takes less than an hour to
completely patch and regenerate news 2.11 on a Vax.  I think it would
be tremendous waste of Usenet resources to repost the entire 2.11 sources.
Given the ease of generating a completely up-to-date news 2.11 from
the original sources and the patches, what's the problem?

Note that rn release 4.3 is at patchlevel 39, and I've had no trouble t'all
getting it to that level by simply tracking Larry Wall's released patches.

Internet sites are welcome to anonymous-ftp news, rn, nntp, and some
other items from this machine (j.cc.purdue.edu); the versions available
through ftp tend to track the revisions as they are locally applied.

Rich Kulawiec, rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu, j.cc.purdue.edu!rsk
PUCC News Administrator

amos@instable.UUCP (04/01/87)

Actually, you don't have to keep all the patch files; it's perfectly
ok to throw them away and only keep the latest .orig files as created
by 'patch'. There are sites that archive all sources and would be happy
to supply them in case of need.
--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

pitaro@savax.UUCP (04/02/87)

>   From: amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir)
>
>   Actually, you don't have to keep all the patch files; it's perfectly
>   ok to throw them away and only keep the latest .orig files as created
>   by 'patch'. There are sites that archive all sources and would be happy
>   to supply them in case of need.

I'm amazed at all the responses like this that get posted.  (Nothing
personal Amos.)  They usually are of the form

	"Yeah, <insert software name> is available.  I have a copy but
	I don't want to distribute it."

Almost always there is no detail on exactly where and how it was
acquired so that the original requester can get ahold of it.  The
typical pointer is something like

	"There are sites that archive all the sources."

Of course there is no mention of who they are, how to access them
(by uucp), or even if you do find them whether they really will send
you sources.  Sometimes to save face the poster will say something like

	"I won't send <insert software name> through the net because
	it's too large."

My beef is why bother the net with these types of postings at all.  The
requester's doesn't give a d*mn whether you have the software or not,
only if you're willing to redistribute it or give a concrete pointer
on where to get it.  I've done my part in volunteering to redistribute
MicroEmacs 3.8b through the US mail in the past and I got about 30
requests.  I'm willing to spend 10 minutes a day out of "my" busy
schedule to help someone else why aren't more net readers doing the
same.  The archives at simtel used to irritate me because I didn't
have ARPA access but since they installed that request server which is
accessible via uucp I've not minded seeing all the responses like
	"Oh yeah, that's available on simtel."
as long as they give a directory and filename.  Note that this is not
to be considered a flame on Amos personally, it's just that I've seen
too many of these postings lately.  Especially with regards to patch,
empire, <insert software name>, etc.

	Michael Pitaro

USMail:	Sanders Associates		UUCP:	decvax!savax!pitaro
	MER24-1583C			PHONE:	+1 (603) 885-9036
	CS 2034				HOME:	46-D Hampshire Drive
	Nashua, NH 03063-2034			Nashua, NH 03063

pl@sibelius.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <272@unixprt.UUCP> cody@unixprt.UUCP (Commando Cody) writes:

>A new clean base for [news, patch] distribution appears highly desirable.

I share this opinion: the news patches have been so lengthy and numerous,
that it surely is better to have the patchlevel zeroed again.

>     there have been numerous patch postings for 2.11 that are not
>     `official'.

This bothers me also and not only with news2.11:  too often we see messages
like 'My mailer doesn't like your mailer, so I'll send this to the news'
popping around: what's wrong with the mailers out there ?? Even here (on the
edge of the known net-verse: ever heard from a place called Finland ? {yes,
we have computers here} :-)) we get really seldom our mailings back from other
mailers, and I haven't yet heard a situation when also the second (well, let's
say third) attempt (with some alterations in the path) had also failed.

It's better to have the originators take care of the patches, even if it
takes a bit longer.  Then at least we have some kind of order here.

And please, tell your system administrator next time you get failed mail
and you think you really have found problem somewhere.
--
Petri Launiainen, Intrinsic Oy, Aleksis Kiven katu 11 C, 33720 Tampere, Finland
Phone: (int) 358 31 132800, USENET: pl@intrin.FI

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <272@unixprt.UUCP> cody@unixprt.UUCP (Commando Cody) writes:
>P.S. Patch is up to patch level 8, News 2.11 is up to level 5.

Actually, 2.11 is up to patch level 6, although the "History of USENET"
articles still say it is up to patch level 3.  Please do not call it 2.11.6
though, because it is not (according to the "version" control message).

In article <3735@j.cc.purdue.edu> rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP writes:
>Note that rn release 4.3 is at patchlevel 39, and I've had no trouble t'all

Actually, rn has been at patchlevel 40 for several months.  If you are missing
any patches, read the later patches to find out how to get them!

In article <18@sibelius.intrin.FI> pl@sibelius.FI (Petri Launiainen) writes:
>>     there have been numerous patch postings for 2.11 that are not
>>     `official'.

Actually, several of these came from me.  When 2.11 was first issued, I sent an
unofficial patch which I FOUND ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for 2.11 to be usable for
me.  I immediately gave it to Rick Adams for inclusion in patch #1.  It never
was included and, each time a patch for 2.11 was issued, I asked Rick Adams
again to do something about it.  It was only until patch #6 that it was sorted
out.

Now, clearly it is not my fault that I had to create unofficial patches since
for our site, and several others, this patch was essential.  Neither was it the
fault of Rick Adams since he is not paid to work on 2.11.  The only solution to
this problem is to PAY those people that look after software for you.
This is the only way to get any guarantee whatsoever!
--
EMAIL:	stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk	| Post: University of Lancaster,
UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen	|	Department of Computing,

geoff@desint.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <527@savax.UUCP> pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro)
indicates an interest in learning usable information about how to
recover archived sources.

On a monthly basis (the last was March 7th), Rich Salz posts an article
to mod.sources that gives a complete index to the archives, plus information
on how to access them.  This article is supposed to be posted with a long
expiration date, but the last wasn't, so it's probably not there on many
systems.  For those of you who keep a lot of news, the relevant information
from the last posting, plus a correction to it:

	Newsgroups: mod.sources
	Subject: v09INF1:  Introduction to mod.sources
	Date: 6 Mar 87 21:13:12 GMT

	Newsgroups: mod.sources
	Subject: v09INF3:  Change in archive sites, recent errors
	Date: 18 Mar 87 22:15:23 GMT

I'm not going to quote my copy, because Rich is due to post an update any
day now.  If you really want a copy before then, drop me a note and I'll
send you one.
--

	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

amos@instable.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <527@savax.UUCP> pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) writes:
>I'm amazed at all the responses like this that get posted.  (Nothing
>personal Amos.)  They usually are of the form
>
>	"Yeah, <insert software name> is available.  I have a copy but
>	I don't want to distribute it."
>
>Almost always there is no detail on exactly where and how it was
>acquired so that the original requester can get ahold of it.

The next time you see such a message, why dont you just *mail* them
a request for details? I have received and answered several such requests
in the past; I have not included any details in my posting because the
original poster apparently knew how to get the sources, he was only complaining
about the volume of patches.

Actually, the archiving sites should post a monthly table-of-contents
and how-to-get articles; some moderated sources groups already do.

--

chris@nrcvax.UUCP (04/05/87)

pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) says:
>>   From: amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir)
>>
>	"Yeah, <insert software name> is available.  I have a copy but
>	I don't want to distribute it."
>
>Almost always there is no detail on exactly where and how it was
>acquired so that the original requester can get ahold of it.  The
>typical pointer is something like
>
>	"There are sites that archive all the sources."
>
>Of course there is no mention of who they are, how to access them
>(by uucp), or even if you do find them whether they really will send
>you sources.

And then there are those that say:

	"Those sources are available via anonymous ftp at site X."

Which is all well and good for those that are on the Internet.  This has
been my number one complaint about trying to get sources.  I suppose I
should be more specific about my situation by explaining that my site is
NOT able to do anonymous ftp.  I do appreciate that the ftp-ers are trying
to help, it's just that it doesn't.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	Too many notes.  There are just simply too many notes.

ken@rochester.UUCP (04/08/87)

|And then there are those that say:
|
|	"Those sources are available via anonymous ftp at site X."
|
|Which is all well and good for those that are on the Internet.  This has
|been my number one complaint about trying to get sources.  I suppose I
|should be more specific about my situation by explaining that my site is
|NOT able to do anonymous ftp.  I do appreciate that the ftp-ers are trying
|to help, it's just that it doesn't.

If a site says that, perhaps it is exactly because they are not willing
to pay the uucp phone bills to send it to you. And although it may not
help you directly, you may find a friendly nearby Internet site that
has snagged it via ftp who will uucp it to you and thus help you
indirectly.

In other words, don't feel discriminated against. These Internet sites
are doing a little to help.

	Ken